Back To Top

Strong aftershock kills 4, cuts power in northern Japan

(Yonhap News)
(Yonhap News)

SENDAI, Japan (AFP) ― A powerful aftershock rocked Japan’s tsunami disaster zone, killing at least four and triggering new concerns over nuclear power plants in a region still grappling with an atomic emergency.

Electricity was cut across a huge area of northern Japan, forcing cooling systems at three nuclear plants to switch to emergency power and plunging more than 3.3 million households into darkness late Thursday night.

At least one back-up supply remained online at all three plants, but the aftershock highlighted the potential risks of nuclear generation in an earthquake zone amid a battle to stabilise reactors at tsunami-hit Fukushima.

Officials and reports said four people had been killed by the 7.1 magnitude tremor ― one of the most powerful to hit Japan since the country’s worst post-war disaster nearly four weeks ago.

The Japanese Meteorological Agency immediately issued a tsunami alert, warning 2-meter high waves could hit an area where much of the coastline still lies in ruins from the March 11 catastrophe.

The alert, which had sent people fleeing to higher ground, was withdrawn 83 minutes after the 11:32 p.m. quake, but set already frayed nerves on edge.

In the town of Kitakami, northwest of Thursday night’s epicenter, an AFP reporter witnessed queues forming at convenience stores as people tried to stock up anew on food, water and batteries.

“It was so scary,” said Kazuyuki Shiroiwa, who had been to four shops in central Kitakami in a vain effort to find batteries.

“The midnight quake reminded me of the fear I felt a month ago,” he said. “I’m fed up with earthquakes. No more quakes, please.”

The Fire and Disaster Management Agency said a 63-year-old woman in Yamagata prefecture died after her home respirator failed when the power was knocked out.

Broadcaster NHK said two men aged 79 and 85 were killed in Miyagi prefecture ― the area worst hit by the 9.0 magnitude quake of March 11 and the towering tsunami it spawned.

The Jiji news agency said an 83-year-old woman in the same prefecture was taken to hospital immediately after the earthquake and later confirmed dead.

The disaster management agency said at least 93 people were confirmed injured as of Friday morning, while Jiji Press said about 140 were hurt.

Electricity was restored to some areas but 2.62 million households were still without power as of mid-Friday, Tohoku-Electric Power said.

The U.S. Geological Survey said the 7.1 aftershock’s epicenter was under the sea 66 kilometers east of Sendai, a city severely affected by the March 11 disaster.

It swayed buildings in the capital Tokyo, more than 300 kilometres away.

Workers battling to control the stricken Fukushima Daiichi nuclear plant on the northeast coast were ordered to evacuate temporarily, plant operator Tokyo Electric Power Co. said.

The evacuation order came less than 24 hours after the workers began pumping nitrogen, an inert gas, into reactor No. 1, where engineers were concerned a build-up of hydrogen might react with oxygen to cause an explosion.

Work at the plant was remotely controlled and had continued uninterrupted, the company said.

A nuclear safety agency official told reporters: “There are no abnormal readings at the Fukushima Daiichi’s monitoring posts.” He added: “We have not seen any problem... with regard to the injection of nitrogen.”

The nuclear agency said some external power sources used for cooling had been lost at plants in Onagawa in Miyagi prefecture and at Rokkasho and Higashidori in Aomori prefecture, but at least one emergency source remained operational at each.

<관련기사>

<日미야기 강진 사망자 4명으로 늘어>

(도쿄 교도=연합뉴스) 일본 미야기(宮城)현 앞바다에서 7일 밤 발생한 규모 7.4 강진으로 인한 사망자가 4명, 부상자가 132명으로 늘어났다고 NHK와 교도통신이 8일 보도했다.

사망자 중 1명은 야마가타(山形)현 오바나자와(尾花澤)시의 자택에서 산소호흡기를 착용하고 자고 있던 63세 여성으로 8일 오전 숨진 채 발견됐다. 일본 소방청은 지진 후 정전의 영향으로 산소호흡기가 멈춘 것으로 보고 조사 중이다.

동일본대지진 피해지인 도호쿠(東北) 지방을 다시 강타한 이번 지진으로 일본 경시청의 이날 오전 8시 현재 집계에 따르면 도호쿠 일대 6개 현에서 중상자 17명을 포함, 총 132명이 크고 작은 부상을 당한 것으로 나타났다.


<日열도 또 강진..공포.비명 불면의 밤>

도후쿠 암흑천지..수도권도 불안에 떨어

    (도쿄=연합뉴스) 김종현 특파원 = 동일본대지진의 충격에서 헤어나지 못하고 있 는 도후쿠(東北) 지역에서 다시 규모 7.4의 강진이 발생하면서 일본 열도가 공포와 비명 속에서 불면의 밤을 지샜다.

    미야기현 앞바다 해저에서 발생한 규모 7.4의 강진이 도후쿠 지역을 강타한  것 은 7일 밤 11시34분께. 도후쿠 지역의 주민들이 잠을 자고 있는 시각이었다.

    미야기현과 이와테현은 거의 전역에서 규모 6 이상의 지진이 관측됐고 해안지역 에 강진이 집중됐다. 이번 지진은 지난달 11일 발생했던 동일본대지진 이후 최대의 여진으로 피해지도 똑같이 겹쳤다.

    지진이 대지를 흔들면서 이와테(岩手)현과 아오모리(靑森)현, 아키타(秋田)현,

야마카타(山形)현의 도시와 마을 390여만가구는 정전으로 암측 천지가 됐고, 일부 지역에서는 통신과 철도가 두절됐다. 미야기 해안지역에는 쓰나미 경보와 주의보가 발령됐으며, 대피명령도 떨어졌다.

    건물이나 아파트 천장의 형광등이 격렬하게 흔들렸고, 책장에서 책이  쏟아졌으 며, 슈퍼마켓은 선반 등에서 떨어진 물건으로 순식간에 아수라장이 됐다.

    잠을 청하다 지진에 놀란 주민들은 비명을 지르며 밖으로 뛰쳐나오거나  가족들 과 부퉁켜안고 공포의 시간을 보내야했다.

    대피소에서 불안한 나날을 보내고 있는 이재민들은 또 대형 쓰나미가 몰려오는 것 아니냐는 불안에 떨었다. 미야기 일부 지역에서는 화재로 불길이 치솟기도 했다.

   미야기현의 히가시마쓰시마(東松島)시의 대피소인 한 공원으로 향하는 길은 갑 자기 밀린 피난 차량으로 한 밤 정체를 빚으면서 2㎞의 거리를 가는데 30여분이  걸 렸다.

    쓰나미 대피령에 승용차를 몰고 몸을 피하던 한 남성은 "쓰나미가 무섭다. 정말 공포스럽다"고 말했다.

    일부 주민들은 "지진의 흔들림이 지난달 대지진때와 비슷했다. 공포의 시간이었 다"며 몸을 떨었다. 원자력발전소의 불안한 상황도 주민들의 공포를 가중시켰다. 지 난달 대지진과 쓰나미 피해로 대형 사고가 난 후쿠시마 제1원자력발전소가 어떻게 될지 몰랐기 때문이다. 미야기현 오나가와(女川) 원전에서는 원자로와 사용후 연료 냉각에 필수적인 외부전원 3개 계통 가운데 2개 계통이 상실됐다는 뉴스가 전해지면 서 불안은 극에 달했다.

    극도의 공포는 지진발생 2시간여만인 8일 0시55분 미야기 현 등 해안지역  일대 에 발령됐던 쓰나미경보와 주의보가 해제되고 원전에 이상이 없다는 사실이  전해지 면서 진정되기 시작했다.

    후쿠시마 제1원전은 특별한 이상이 발견되지않았고 오나카와 원전 등에서는  외 부전원이 일부 또는 전부 끊겼으나 비상용 전원 등으로 냉각기능이 정상적으로 이뤄 지고 있는 것으로 밝혀졌다.

    불안과 불면의 밤은 미야기에서 멀리 떨어진 남쪽의 도쿄(東京) 등 수도권도 마 찬가지였다. 지진 규모는 3∼4 정도였지만 강한 흔들림에 놀란 주민들은 방송을  지 켜보며 충격과 공포로 꼬박 밤을 지새야했다.

    강진이 발생하자 간 나오토(菅直人) 총리는 심야에 관저로 나와 비상대책회의를 열고 피해 상황 등에 촉각을 곤두세웠다.

    내각은 다행히 동일본 대지진때 대재앙을 부른 쓰나미 피해가 거의 없고 원전 상황도 이상이 없다는 사실을 확인하고서야 놀란 가슴을 쓸어내렸다.

    하지만 이번 강진으로 100여명이 부상하고 화력발전소 등의 가동 중단으로 수백 만가구가 정전의 고통을 겪고 있다. 일부 철도도 끊기면서 대지진 피해지역 주민의 불편은 가중됐다.

    이번 강진은 일본의 수도권 이북 중북부가 여전히 대재앙의 위험에 노출돼 있음 을 보여줬다. 언제 또 파멸적인 지진과 쓰나미가 발생할지 모르기에 일본 열도의 충 격과 공포, 불안은 현재형이다.

   

 

MOST POPULAR
LATEST NEWS
Korea Herald daum
subscribe