[Chung Chan-seung] The collapse of trust: South Korea's true health care crisis
[KH Explains] Why doctors refuse to bend despite lack of public support
[Herald Interview] Rival heir to Kim Ju-ae unlikely to appear: unification minister
[KH Explains] What does Apple's dead car project mean for Samsung, Hyundai?
Yoon, Zuckerberg discuss AI, digital ecosystem in Seoul
Actor Lee Jae-wook vows legal action against malicious rumors
Interior minister renews calls for trainee doctors to return to work
Bitcoin soars to record high in Korea
Zuckerberg meets LG top brass to discuss XR partnership
[Graphic News] S. Korean children’s screen time 3 times WHO recommendation
Padres' shortstop Kim Ha-seong named finalist for NL Gold Glove AwardBy Yonhap
Published : Oct. 21, 2022 - 10:05
The San Diego Padres' South Korean shortstop Kim Ha-seong has named a finalist for the National League Gold Glove Award.
Major League Baseball announced finalists for the top fielding award at each position on Thursday. Kim is up against Dansby Swanson of the Atlanta Braves and Miguel Rojas of the Miami Marlins.
Kim stepped in for the injured and suspended Fernando Tatis Jr. as the Padres' everyday shortstop in his second MLB season. Per Baseball Reference, Kim ranked sixth among all NL shortstops with a 2.1 in defensive wins above replacement (WAR), behind Rojas (2.6) but ahead of Swanson (2.0).
In Outs Above Average, which measures how many outs a player has saved, Swanson led all MLB shortstops with 20, whereas Kim had six and Rojas had 10.
Per FanGraphs, Kim ranked third among NL shortstop with +10 defensive runs saved, which looks at the number of runs a player saved or cost his team relative to an average player. Rojas led the way with +15 and Swanson had +9.
The Gold Glove winners are determined by votes from 30 MLB managers and up to six coaches from each team. They will vote from a pool of players in their league, but not those from their own team. These votes comprise 75 percent of the selection total, with the Defensive Index by the Society of American Baseball Research counting for the other 25 percent.
No South Korean player has won a Gold Glove Award. Kim is the first South Korean finalist since Choo Shin-soo was up for the American League Gold Glove in right field in 2012. (Yonhap)
S. Korea, US discuss NK's definition of S. Korea as 'hostile' country
Why doctors refuse to bend despite lack of public support
Cho, Blinken pledge 'watertight' response to any NK provocations