The Korea Herald


Boy band singer’s father, grandparents found dead

By Korea Herald

Published : Jan. 7, 2014 - 20:43

    • Link copied

Leeteuk of Super Junior. (Leeteuk Twitter) Leeteuk of Super Junior. (Leeteuk Twitter)
Police officials announced on Tuesday that they are currently investigating the deaths of the father and grandparents of popular K-pop boy band member Leeteuk, of Super Junior, which occurred late Sunday night.

Although on Monday night officials from the star’s agency SM Entertainment announced that the family members had been killed in a car accident in an apparent attempt to protect the entertainer from bad publicity, it has now been revealed that the three actually died in their home in what police are suspecting was an apparent murder-suicide.

It was reported that on Monday morning the bodies of Leeteuk’s father and grandparents were discovered by a relative in their apartment in Shindaebang-dong, southwestern Seoul. The bodies of the 84-year-old grandfather and 79-year-old grandmother were found in bed with a blanket pulled over them, while the 57-year-old father, referred to only by his family name Park, was found dead in his room in an apparent suicide by hanging. Although the police have not yet officially determined the cause of death of the grandparents, they believe that Park murdered his parents before committing suicide.

“After our initial investigation of the scene, we believe that Park first strangled his parents and then killed himself,” stated police officials. “However, we are still investigating the situation to confirm our suspicions.”

A suicide note found at the scene apparently written by Park stated, “I am taking them with me.”

Family members of the deceased said that Park had been suffering from depression for a long time, after divorcing his wife several years ago. He alone cared for his parents, who had been battling Alzheimer’s disease for years.

Leeteuk is currently fulfilling his mandatory military service. However, after hearing the news, the star was rushed to the Korea University Guro Hospital, where he and his sister plan to hold the funeral services on Wednesday.

By Julie Jackson (