Back To Top

North Korea vows to go ahead with planned rocket launch

North Korea said Tuesday it would go ahead with a widely criticized plan for a satellite launch and called on U.S. President Barack Obama to drop his "confrontational mindset".

"We will never give up the right to launch a peaceful satellite, a legitimate right of a sovereign state and an essential step for economic development," a foreign ministry spokesman told the official KCNA news agency.

The spokesman was responding to Obama's comments Sunday and Monday during a visit to South Korea.

The U.S. leader said his country was not hostile to the North's people but denounced the rocket launch scheduled between April 12-16.

The U.S. and other countries say it would in fact be a long-range missile test banned under UN resolutions.

"The U.S. head of state said he had no hostile intention towards us," the spokesman said.

"But if that remark is genuine, he should abandon the confrontational mindset that tries to block us, and should have the courage to admit that we have as much right to launch our satellite as other countries do."

The North said it would judge whether Obama's remarks were genuine "or just another hypocrisy" depending on whether his country applies a double standard to the satellite launch.

It said it had invited foreign experts and reporters to witness "a scientific space technology project that has nothing to do with any military purpose".

The North said it has also asked the U.S. National Aeronautics and Space Administration (NASA) to send experts to the site.

Obama has said any launch would jeopardize a U.S.-North Korean deal reached only last month, under which the North agreed a partial nuclear freeze and a missile test moratorium in return for U.S. food aid.

The North insists its satellite launch is not a missile test.

There was no reason to conduct such a test at this time "after laboring so much to reach an agreement with the U,S, and when the whole political atmosphere is favorable", it said. (AFP)

 
 

<한글 기사>

北 "위성발사 절대 포기하지 않을 것"

"美 위성발사에 이중기준 적용말라"

북한 외무성 대변인은 27일 "우리는 주권국가의 합법적 권리이고 경제발전의 필수적 요구인 평화적 위성발사를 절대 포기하지 않을 것"이라고 밝혔다.

외무성 대변인은 이날 조선중앙통신 기자와 문답을 통해 "김일성 동지의 탄생 1 00돌을 맞으며 실용위성을 쏘아 올리는 것은 김정일 장군의 유훈이며 오래전부터 계획되고 추진돼온 정상적인 사업"이라며 "(미국은) 우리의 앞길을 가로막으려는 대결 관념에서 벗어나 우리에게도 남들과 똑같이 위성발사 권리가 있다는 것을 인정할 용 기를 가져야 한다"고 촉구했다.

대변인은 "우리는 조미(북미)고위급회담들에서 평화적 위성 발사가 장거리미사 일 발사 임시중지에 포함되지 않는다는 것을 시종일관하게 주장했다"며 "그 결과 2•29 조미합의에는 `위성발사를 포함한 장거리미사일 발사'나 `탄도미사일 기술을 이용한 발사'가 아니라 `장거리미사일 발사 임시중지'로 명기된 것"이라고 주장했다.

이어 "미 최고당국자가 우리가 계획하고 있는 평화적 과학기술 위성발사를 '국제평화와 안전을 위협하는 도발'로 걸고 들었다"며 "미국이 우리에 대한 적대적 의사가 없다고 말은 하지만 고질적인 대결관념에서 벗어나지 못하기 때문에 평화적 위성발사도 장거리 미사일 발사로만 보이는 것"이라고 미국을 비난했다.

대변인은 "미 국가항공우주국에도 전문가들을 보내라고 초청했으므로 그들이 와 서 우리 위성발사의 평화적 성격을 제 눈으로 직접 확인할 수 있을 것"이라며 "미국 이 우리의 위성발사에 대해 이중기준을 적용하는가 안 하는가 하는가에 따라 미국 최고당국자의 발언이 진심인가 위선인가를 판별하게 될 것"이라고 강조했다. (연합뉴스)

MOST POPULAR
LATEST NEWS
catch table
Korea Herald daum
subscribe