Back To Top

Lee says S. Korea, U.S. expected to reach agreement on extending missile range: report

South Korea expects to reach agreement with the United States in the near future to allow Seoul to possess or develop ballistic missiles that can reach deeper into North Korea, President Lee Myung-bak was quoted Thursday as saying.

Under a pact with the U.S., first signed in 1979 and revised in 2001, the range of South Korean ballistic missiles is limited to 300 kilometers and their payload weight to 500 kilograms. Seoul has sought to revise the agreement to match the range of missiles in the North Korean arsenal.

"It is for defense against North Korean attacks at times of contingencies that we say we need to expand our missile range," Lee was quoted as saying during an interview published in the Dong-a Ilbo newspaper Thursday. "We need an appropriate range."

The remark came as tensions have risen on the Korean Peninsula after North Korea announced last week it will launch a long-range rocket to put a satellite into orbit, a pretext the communist nation has used before to disguise banned missile tests.

Whenever North Korea rattles its saber with its missile or nuclear programs, calls spike in South Korea for longer-range missiles to counter threats from the provocative regime. Since 2010, South Korea and the U.S. have been in talks to revise the missile range pact, though few details have been released.

"Various realities and circumstances have changed," Lee said of the need for revising the agreement.

Lee said the U.S. views Seoul's demand as "fairly reasonable"

and he believes the sides will be able to reach agreement in the near future, but gave no specific time frame.

"If North Korea attacks with missiles, they can reach even the (southern) island of Jeju. Therefore, we need to be symmetrical,"

Lee said. "There is an understanding between the South and the U.S. that it is right to extend our missile range to an appropriate level."

A presidential official said Seoul and Washington have been in talks on the missile range, but no specifics have been finalized.(Yonhap News)

 

 <한글 기사>

李대통령 "北공격 대비 미사일사거리 연장 필요"

"300㎞ 제한은 한계 있다..조만간 타협 될 것"

이명박 대통령이 북한의 도발을 막기 위해 우리 나라의 탄도 미사일 사거리를 연장해야 한다는 입장을 밝혀 주목된다.

이 대통령은 22일 동아일보와 미국 월스트리트저널 등 내외신 공동 인터뷰에서 "우리가 미사일 사거리를 확대해야 한다는 것은 목적이 유사시 북한의 공격에 대한 예방"이라며 "적절한 사거리가 필요하다"고 밝혔다.

우리나라는 지난 2001년 미국과 합의한 미사일 지침에 따라 사거리 300㎞ㆍ탄두 중량 500㎏을 넘는 탄도미사일을 보유할 수 없다.

이 대통령은 "현재의 300㎞로는 북한의 전방에만 미치기 때문에 (남북이) 대치하는 상황에서 (효과적인 대북 방어 차원의) 공격에 한계가 있다"면서 미사일 지침 개정 필요성을 강조했다.

이 대통령은 "지금 여러 가지 현실과 여건이 바뀌었다"면서 "(한ㆍ미 미사일 합 의 이후) 기간이 됐기 때문에 한미가 협의하고 있다"고 설명했다. 

이어 "한ㆍ미 공동으로 전략을 펴 나가는 관점에서도 우리의 (사거리 확대) 주장에 미국도 상당히 이해가 되고 있다"면서 "(미국도) 우리의 전략이 상당히 합리적 이라고 보기 때문에 조만간 타협이 될 것이라고 본다"고 밝혔다.

이에 따라 오는 26∼27일 열리는 2012 서울 핵안보 정상회의에서 회동하는 이 대통령과 버락 오바마 미국 대통령이 이 문제를 놓고 합의점을 이끌어낼 지 주목된다.

이 대통령은 "북한이 미사일로 공격하면 제주도까지 온다. 그래서 우리도 대칭 적으로 필요하다는 것"이라며 "한ㆍ미가 공동 전략을 짜고 있으니 거기에 적절한 미 사일 사거리를 확대하는 게 맞다는 이해가 양국 간에 돼 있다"고 부연했다.

실제로 정부는 북한의 `광명성 3호' 발사 계획에 따른 종합대책으로 미사일 사거리 연장 문제를 적극 검토하고 있는 것으로 알려졌다.

이와 관련, 청와대 핵심 관계자는 "지난 2010년부터 미국과 미사일 지침에 대한 논의를 계속 해오고 있다"면서 "아직 구체적인 부분에 대해서 확정된 바 없다"고 말했다.
MOST POPULAR
LATEST NEWS
catch table
Korea Herald daum
subscribe