The Korea Herald

ssg
소아쌤

MBC president vows stern measures against striking workers

By

Published : Feb. 24, 2012 - 16:10

    • Link copied

The head of South Korea's major TV broadcaster MBC vowed Friday to deal sternly with unionists waging an "illegal strike" and demanding his resignation.

MBC's unionized reporters and TV producers began an indefinite general strike on Jan. 30, demanding Kim Jae-cheul, the president and chief executive of the broadcaster, step down over what they call biased coverage of major social and political issues.

The walkout is affecting nearly all news and entertainment programs at the station, with the exception of dramas and programs whose production is outsourced.

"It is nonsense that they demand the resignation of a president chosen through legitimate procedures," Kim said during a meeting of senior company officials.

Kim, who showed up at the MBC offic for the first time in about three weeks, said he had been working off-site "to avoid unnecessary clashes" with unionists but had reached the limit of his patience.

"I will respond to the illegal strike sternly and according to (law and) principles," he said, vowing to take all possible measures, including legal action if necessary, to normalize the company.

In addition, management ordered all employees participating in the strike to return to work by 9 a.m. Monday or face disciplinary measures.

The union refused to back down, however, vowing to continue its strike until the company moves toward "fair journalism."

"We launched this strike because MBC has biased broadcasting,"

Jeong Yeong-ha, chief of the union, said. "We will continue the strike as scheduled until our broadcasting environment turns fair,"

he added.

The unionists argue that the broadcaster has intentionally omitted or reduced the coverage of politically sensitive issues, including rallies against the country's free trade agreement with the United States and suspicions surrounding President Lee Myung-bak's recent purchase of land for his retirement home in southern Seoul. (Yonhap News)

<한글기사>

김재철 MBC 사장 "파업에 엄정 대처"

김재철 MBC 사장은 24일 사장 퇴진을 요구하는 노동조합의 파업에 원칙에 따라 엄정하게 대처하겠다는 뜻을 밝혔다.

김재철 사장은 이날 오전 여의도 MBC 사옥에서 열린 확대간부회의에서 "이번 파 업은 불법파업"이라며 "적법한 절차에 따라 선임된 사장을 정당한 이유도 없이 물러 나라고 하는 것은 있을 수 없는 일"이라고 말했다.

 지난 1일 이후 처음으로 회사에 모습을 드러낸 김 사장은 "불필요한 충돌을 피 하기 위해 외부에서 업무를 봤지만 이제 인내가 거의 한계에 도달했다"며 "원칙에 따라 엄정하게 불법 파업에 대처할 것"이라고 밝혔다.

이어 "회사는 정상화를 위한 모든 조처를 해 나갈 것이며, 사규는 물론  필요하 다면 법적 절차까지 밟아나갈 계획"이라며 "사장으로서 소임을 다할 것"이라고 강조 했다.

아울러 사측은 파업에 참여한 노조원들에게 27일 오전 9시까지 업무에 복귀할 것을 명령했다. 복귀명령에 불응한 직원에 대해서는 사규에 따른 책임을 엄중하게 묻겠다는 입장이다.

이날 간부회의는 부장급 이상 직원 100여명이 참석한 가운데 10여분 만에  끝났 으며, 노조는 회의실 앞에서 피켓시위를 하며 김 사장에게 항의의 뜻을 전달했다.

정영하 노조 위원장은 "사장이 불공정 방송에 대한 언급 없이 불법파업에만  방 점을 찍어 강경대응 방침을 천명한 것은 적반하장"이라며 "불법을 각오하고 파업에 나선 것은 MBC가 편파방송을 했기 때문"이라고 항변했다.

정 위원장은 "방송 환경이 공정하게 바뀔 때까지 일정대로 파업을 계속할 것"이 라고 덧붙였다.