The Korea Herald

ssg
지나쌤

Legal feuds mar last-minute campaigns

By 배현정

Published : April 25, 2011 - 19:09

    • Link copied

With the by-elections taking place on Wednesday, last-minute competition between candidates has turned into a game of mudslinging and legal feuds.

The main opposition Democratic Party on Monday accused Ohm Ki-young, the ruling Grand National Party candidate for Gangwon governor, of breaking election law, according to officials.

“Ohm violated the public election law by operating an unregistered call center to induce voters to cast their ballots for him,” the DP said through its written accusation.

Last Friday, the local police raided a pension in Gangneung, on a tip-off from opposition camps, and arrested about 30 people for making covert phone calls to voters.

Though the ruling party candidate apologized for the trouble caused by “some enthusiastic volunteers,” he has sternly denied any involvement.

“It is however difficult to believe that he could have been unaware of the costly project in which over 100 million won ($92,413) was spent,” said a spokesperson of DP candidate Choi Moon-soon.

Gangneung police set out to locate and arrest a 42-year-old with the surname Choi, a close aide to Ohm, in connection with the campaign call center, and to find out whether the candidate was in any way related to the operation, officials said Monday.

Officials earlier on Sunday also requested arrest warrants for two leading GNP members who allegedly supported Choi in running the controversial campaign center.
A ruling Grand National Party official delivers a written accusation against opposition candidate Choi Moon-soon of election law violation to the Chuncheon District Prosecutor’s Office on Monday. (Yonhap News) A ruling Grand National Party official delivers a written accusation against opposition candidate Choi Moon-soon of election law violation to the Chuncheon District Prosecutor’s Office on Monday. (Yonhap News)
Park Jie-won, floor leader of the main opposition Democratic Party, presents Monday a photograph of Gangwon gubernatorial candidate Ohm Ki-young of the ruling Grand National Party pictured with an alleged organizer of an illicit campaign in Gangneung. (Yonhap News) Park Jie-won, floor leader of the main opposition Democratic Party, presents Monday a photograph of Gangwon gubernatorial candidate Ohm Ki-young of the ruling Grand National Party pictured with an alleged organizer of an illicit campaign in Gangneung. (Yonhap News)


Should the candidate be taken to court and handed a jail term or a fine of 1 million won or more, election law states that he would lose his elected position even if he came first in Wednesday’s race.

Former Gangwon Governor Lee Kwang-jae of the DP lost his post in this way earlier this year, which led to the by-election.

The alleged illegal campaign comes as a blow to Ohm’s election bid. He has taken a sizable lead over his opponent in most public opinion polls, and was favored to win the governor post.

The ruling party countered on Monday by accusing DP candidate Choi of sending out false campaign messages to voters.

Choi’s camp sent out SMS text messages to a random group of 220,000 people, quoting unfounded news reports that Choi was closely catching up with Ohm with a gap of 1 percent, GNP officials said.

“This massive leak of false information was an intentional act of campaigning,” said a GNP official, demanding that the prosecution look into the action.

Choi’s camp admitted sending the text messages and promised to cooperate in the investigation, but claimed that it was merely a mistake made by the person in charge who failed to check the veracity of the online news.

While Gangwon province remains embroiled in the illegal campaigning scandal, the Gimhae constituency in South Gyeongsang Province is mired in a legal quarrel.

The joint opposition camp and its candidate Lee Bong-soo of the minority People’s Participation Party accused Special Affairs Minister Lee Jae-oh of supporting the GNP candidate Kim Tae-ho and thus violating his duty of political neutrality.

The camp last Friday presented as evidence a notepad, which allegedly showed the minister’s involvement in Kim’s election campaign.

The South Jeolla branch of the National Election Commission also uncovered 22 minor violations of the election law, of which four were handed over to the prosecution for indictment, officials said Monday.

The official campaign period for the by-elections is to end at midnight, Tuesday.

By Bae Hyun-jung (tellme@heraldcorp.com)

<관련 한글 기사> 

강원 보선 TV토론회..마지막까지 불법선거 공방전

엄기영 "평창동계올림픽 의혹 제기는 3수 도전 물거품..흑색선전"

최문순 "강릉 펜션사건 적발 동계올림픽 지장 발언은 도민 협박"

"평창 동계올림픽 서명운동에 대해 의혹을 제기 하는 것은 올림픽 3수 도전을 물거품으로 만드는 것이다"(엄기영), "강릉  펜션사건 을 적발해 동계올림픽 유치에 지장을 줄 수 있다는 것은 도민에 대한  협박이다"(최문순)

4.27 강원도지사 보궐선거를 앞두고 25일 밤 강원도선거관리위원회 주관으로 KB S춘천방송총국에서 열린 마지막 TV토론회에서 한나라당 엄기영 후보와 민주당 최문순 후보는 불법선거운동 문제를 둘러싸고 마지막까지 양보없는 치열한 공방을 벌였다.

엄 후보는 "최 후보가 평창 동계올림픽 유치를 위한 100만인 서명운동에 대해 지속적으로 의혹을 제기하는 것은 흑색선전"이라면서 "IOC가 현지사정을 모니터링하 고 있는데 정치공세로 도민 모두의 현안인 올림픽 3수 도전을 물거품으로 만드는데 책임을 느끼지 않느냐"라고 공세를 취했다.

그는 이어 "사실로 확인되지 않은 것은 일방적으로 알리지 말아야 하는데 지난 25일 마치 범죄조직같은 것을 발표해 선대위와 애꿎은 사람들까지 엮어서 인터넷을 도배했다. 저를 돕는다는 이유로 개인의 명예를 짓밟아도 되는 것이냐"며 "저는 이번 사건과 무관하며 모르는 일"이라며 기존 입장을 되풀이했다.

이에 최문순 후보는 "강릉 펜션사건은 범죄를 저지른 사람의 문제지 적발, 보도 한 사람의 문제가 아니다"면서 "이를 적발해 동계올림픽 유치에 지장을 줄 수 있다는 것은 도민에 대한 협박이다. 최소한의 윤리의식조차 갖추지 못한 발언이기 때문에 취소해야 한다"고 반박했다.

아울러 "강릉 펜션현장에서 체포된 주부들이 저의 천안함 발언 때문에 분노하고 엄 후보 지지를 위해 전화홍보를 했다는 말이 아직도 유효하느냐. 이를 취소할 생각 이 없느냐"며 "그 분들은 자원봉사가 아니라 5만원씩 돈벌러 나갔다고 말한다. 전 국민 앞에서 (엄 후보가) 허위사실을 말하는데 실망한다"고 말했다.

질문 기회를 얻은 최 후보는 "엄 후보의 조직특보였던 41살 최모씨의 체포영장이 신청된 것을 아느냐"며 "출마하신 분과 관련된 일이 국민적 관심사로 드러났는데 잘못없다고 하니 당당하게 경찰에 출두해 해명하고 진술해야 한다"고 압박했다.

엄 후보는 "이번 사건과 관련해 뉴스를 챙겨보지 못했다"며 "그 분은 평창동계 올림픽 유치 서명운동때 적극적으로 도왔던 사람이지만 공식 선대위에는 관련없도 발족 이후 만나본 적이 없다"며 "제가 모르는 일인데 자꾸 연관시키면 어떻게 하느냐"고 즉답을 피했다.

엄 후보는 최 후보의 문자발송과 관련해 "도내 유권자 22만명에게 `1% 초박빙', 기호 2번 최문순'이라는 문자가 발송됐다"며 "허위 사실이 유포되면 회계책임자는 물론 최 후보도 징역 7년이하, 벌금 3천만원 이상을 받을 수 있는 사건이다. 민주당 이 후보 사퇴까지 요구했는데 허위 문자를 보낸 최 후보가 사퇴해야 할 사안"이라고 공세 수위를 높였다.

최 후보는 "물타기 위해 애를 쓴다. 문자 메시지는 선거법상 합법이다. 지금도 엄 후보측에서 많이 보내고 있다"며 "다만 내용 자체는 문제가 없지만 실무자가 홈페이지와 트위터에 떠 있어 뉴스에 나간 것으로 착각했다. 이는 강릉 펜션사건과 비교할 수 없는 사소한 실수다"고 반박했다.

엄 후보는 "최 후보의 동해안 평화공단 공약은 북한이 거의 받아들일 확률이 없는데다 북한이 10만명의 노동자를 보내줄 수 있다는 생각은 이상적이고 허황된 것"이라며 "국민들을 내쫓는 공약에 주민들이 분노를 표하고 있다"고 말했다.

최 후보는 "이미 북한이 다녀간 횟수가 상당하며 남북교류가 깊이 진행된 상황에서 그런 사고 방식은 옛날 냉전시대에 너무 매몰된 것"이라며 "그 지역은 엄 후보 의 약속대로 경제자유구역으로 만들어도 수용해야하는 지역이기 때문에 질문 앞뒤가 모순"이라고 반박했다. 

마지막 상호토론에서 최 후보는 "엄 후보가 지난 18일 TV토론회에서 영월에 코이카(국제협력단)를 불러왔다고 하는데 국회 답변을 받아보니 '동 훈련 시설 건립은 보궐선거 이전인 2008년부터 추진돼 왔던 사안으로 금번 지방보궐선거와는 아무런 관련이 없다. 엄 후보측과 접촉한 사실이 없다'고 했는데 접촉하지 않고 어떻게 유치했느냐"며 "현대중공업 정몽준 회장으로부터 강릉에 저탄소 녹색성장 투자 약속을 받아냈다고 하는데 투자는 사장이 한다. 정 회장은 아무런 권한이 없는 사람"이라고 따졌다.
엄 후보는 "다른 비선이 있었다. 공식 선에서는 부인하지만 코이카 부분은 다른 곳으로 뺏길 위기에 처해 있었다"며 "영월에 유치하기로 돼 있던 것을 제대로 대처하지 못해 다른 곳으로 갈 것을 다시 강원도로 끌어온 것"이라고 설명했다.

(연합뉴스)