The Army has referred seven professors and two employees of the Korea Military Academy to its disciplinary board in connection with the first reported sexual assault case involving its cadets, officials said Monday.
A male senior cadet is alleged to have sexually assaulted a drunk female sophomore during a school festival on May 22. He was detained for investigation a day after the victim filed a complaint with Army investigators on May 23.
“We, once again, are sorry for causing disappointment, shock and concern to the people,” Maj. Gen. Ryu Sung-sik, deputy chief of staff for personnel, told reporters. “Based on your criticism and advice, we will take this as a chance for soul-searching and to further enhance the Army.”
The victim has been back to school after spending time with her parents while the suspect is in detention at a military penitentiary on charges of sexual assault in accordance with the military law.
Following the incident, the Army has strengthened protection measures for female cadets such as installing fingerprint scanning systems at the entrances of barracks and forming a taskforce in charge of enhancing personality education and training for the teaching staff.
Last week, KMA chief Lieut. Gen. Park Nam-su offered to resign, taking responsibility for the incident. The academy began accepting female cadets in 1998. Female cadets account for about 10 percent of the total 1,000 cadets.
By Song Sang-ho (email@example.com