Government sets Thursday deadline for doctors' return
Woman dies after bungee jumping in mall
Over 150 elementary schools have no 1st graders: ministry
[KH explains] Why Korea has been so quick to adopt ‘global minimum tax’
[From the Scene] 12 hours to get ER treatment -- it could get worse
Korea to lift land use restrictions near military bases
Mass walkout by trainee doctors nears deadline as health services crippled
Broadcaster warned after omitting honorific for first lady
Teachers and native English instructors now required to undergo drug testing
Russia sending North Korea food in return for arms: Seoul defense chief
Bills in Focus
[Bills in Focus] Gimpo-Seoul merger proposal, cord blood use for regenerative medicineBy Korea Herald
Published : Dec. 11, 2023 - 15:14
Proposed bill: Special Act on the Change of Jurisdiction of Gyeonggi Province and Seoul Metropolitan City
Proposed by Rep. Cho Kyoung-tae (People Power Party)
● Due to its geographical location, Gimpo citizens interact more with Seoul than other parts of Gyeonggi Province, with a high percentage of its population commuting from Gimpo to Seoul. Therefore, this bill aims to resolve the disparity between the administrative district and the actual activity space of Gimpo citizens by excluding Gimpo from the jurisdiction of Gyeonggi Province and establishing Gimpo-gu as a part of Seoul Metropolitan City from Jan. 1, 2025
Proposed bill: Partial Amendment to the Act on Cord Blood Management and Research
Proposed by Rep. Hong Suk-joon (People Power Party)
● While the global interest in the potential application of cord blood in regenerative medicine has recently, Korea currently limits its use to transplantation. This amendment establishes the legal basis for using cord blood in advanced regenerative medicine and allows the usage of qualified cord blood in clinical studies.
Pending bill: Partial Amendment to the Corporate Restructuring Promotion Act
Proposed by Rep. Yun Chang-hyun (People Power Party)
● The Corporate Restructuring Promotion Act has been an effective way for business normalization through the creditors’ autonomous decisions. Therefore, this amendment postpones the expiration date of the Corporate Restructuring Promotion Act until Dec. 31, 2027, to minimize the potential economic crisis caused by business insolvency.
Promulgated bill: Enforcement Decree of the Hydrogen Economy Promotion and Hydrogen Safety Management Act
Competent Authority: Ministry of Trade, Industry and Energy
● This bill classifies hydrogen into five levels based on the volume of greenhouse gases emitted during their production and importation and prescribes the certification, assessment and designation of clean hydrogen evaluation institutions.
Administrative announcement: Partial Amendment to the Enforcement Decree of the Personal Information Protection Act
Competent Authority: Personal Information Protection Commission
● This amendment introduces the right of data subjects to refuse decisions made automatically by AI technologies and to request an explanation. It also strengthens the qualification requirements for chief privacy officers, mandating at least three years of experience in the personal information protection field and at least six years of experience in related areas such as information protection.
The Korea Herald republishes a weekly legislative report by local law firm DR & AJU LLC to provide the latest information on bills approved, proposed, pending and set to be promulgated. -- Ed.
For any queries about the bills, contact email@example.com.
Articles by Korea Herald
Deadline looms over trainee doctors’ walkout
S. Korea, US vow stern measures on NK-Russia arms deal
Legality issues linger as nurses fill treatment void Tuesday