|Sikhye (Institute of Traditional Korean Food)|
● 1 cup malt powder, 12 cups water
● 2 cups non-glutinous rice, 2 1/3 cups water
● 1 cup sugar
● 1 tbsp pine nuts
1. Put the malt powder in warm water at around 40 degrees Celsius and let it sit for 30 min.
2. Fumble the soaked malt powder with your hands, sieve through a strainer. Discard the solids after squeezing, sink the malt water. When the sediment settles, pour the clear water on top out gently.
3. Wash the non-glutinous rice, soak in water for 30 min. Then drain in a strainer for 10 min.
4. Remove the tops of the pine nuts and wipe the nuts clean.
5. Put the rice and water in the pot, heat it up for 4 min. on high heat. When it boils, continue to boil for 4 min. Lower the heat to medium, boil for 3 min. When the rice become sodden, lower the heat to low, steam it for 10 min. (880g).
6. Put the steamed rice, malt water and sugar into the thermo-pot (60~65 degrees Celsius), keep in there for 3-4 hours.
7. When 7 or 8 rice grains have floated to the top, remove all the rice from the pot.
8. Pour the fermented water into the pot, heat it up for 5 min. on high heat. When it boils, skim the foam off.
9. Cool the rice punch, put in a bowl and top with rice grains and pine nuts.
● If the rice is left in the pot until lots of grains float, the punch may be sour.
● When making a lot of rice punch, boil it for 20 min. more.
(Adapted from the Institute of Traditional Korean Food)