Health care crisis hits highest level amid doctor walkout
Snow depth exceeds gauge limit at a Gangwon site
US fighter jet drops fuel tanks into Yellow Sea in 'in-flight emergency'
Thailand asks S. Korea to toughen K-ETA screening after denied entries of its people
K-pop hitmaker Shinsadong Tiger dies at 41
Fake compilation video featuring President Yoon goes viral
S. Korea, US, Japan concur on 'stern' response to NK-Russia arms deal
Medical services disruption escalates with 27 surgeries canceled
Defense chief downplays concerns over US possibly taking softer stance on NK nukes
[Editorial] Deepfake risks in election
LG starts mass production of EV chargersBy Jo He-rim
Published : May 25, 2023 - 15:42
LG Electronics said Thursday it has kicked off mass production of electric vehicle chargers, officially tapping into the burgeoning market.
Celebrating the production of its first EV charger, the company introduced four new models in the works at a ceremony at LG Digital Park in Pyeongtaek, Gyeonggi Province, Wednesday. During the event, the company announced the rebranding of its EV charger affiliate AppleMango to HiEV Charger.
“The start of EV charger production marks a significant milestone for LG, propelling us on a journey to become a total EV charging solutions provider,” said Suh Heung-kyu, vice president and head of the EV charging business division of LG Electronics Business Solutions Company.
“We will focus on delivering convenient and fast EV charging solutions for EV owners and differentiated EV charging solutions offering diverse form factors and new services for our valued partners.”
LG acquired a 60 percent stake in HiEV Charger in 2019, while the remaining 40 percent is owned by GS Group’s GS Energy, an EV charging station operator, and IT provider GS Neotek.
LG said it has been fostering the development and production capacity of EV chargers since the acquisition and has also been working to build a business network with potential clients. The company will cooperate with GS to strengthen the EV charger solutions business, it added.
In 2018, LG Electronics developed its first EV charging solution and then provided EV charging management solutions for the “future gas station” introduced by GS Caltex in 2020.
At Wednesday’s ceremony, LG introduced four types of EV chargers – two 7-kilowatt models of wall-mounted and stand types and two fast-charging models, of 100 kilowatts and 200 kilowatts.
The new EV chargers have been developed with an array of safety-enhancing features, being water- and dust-resistant, the company said. The chargers are also designed to have a slim depth for efficient use of space, and the inclusion of two connectors allows for charging of two EVs simultaneously, LG added.
Looking beyond the domestic market, LG is currently planning EV charging product launches and related collaborations in countries around the world, it said.
According to global management consulting firm Roland Berger, the global EV charging market is expected to reach $186 billion by 2030.
Major hospitals experience disruptions as junior doctors' walkout enters 5th day
Parents of 7 first to receive W10m for childbirth in Seoul
FM Cho meets with UNESCO chief in Brazil