Police raid striking doctors' homes, offices, after deadline passes on return-to-work order
Yoon touts improved Japan ties on Independence Movement Day as gateway to 'new world'
Tensions loom as doctors plan mass rally in deepening clash over med school quota
DP leader Lee retains ticket to his constituency for April elections
Korean stocks benefit from Zuckerberg's Seoul visit
[EYE] A Buddhist temple where animal spirits find peace
[Weekender] Car camping: How solo female campers enjoy outdoors
S. Korea's meat consumption exceeds rice intakes for 2nd year
South Korea publicly orders some doctors who walked off the job back to work
Korea faces long road in unlocking corporate value like Japan
30% of COVID-19 relief funds spent on boosting consumption: KDIBy Park Han-na
Published : Dec. 23, 2020 - 17:34
According to a report released by the Korea Development Institute, some 4 trillion won ($3.65 billion) has been spent through credit and debit cards, accounting for between 26.2 percent and 36.1 percent of an estimated 11.1 trillion to 15.3 trillion won granted by the central and provincial governments as a means to cushion the economic blow of the novel coronavirus pandemic.
Funds distributed via coupons and prepaid cards were excluded from the statistics due to difficulty in tracking the spending.
“Except for 30 percent which led to consumption, the remaining 70 percent was used for household debt repayment or savings for future consumption,” KDI researcher Kim Mee-roo said.
The report is the result of the think tank’s research on the economic impact of the country‘s first round of relief cash given to every adult citizen in May. The country handed out a second round of COVID-19 relief money in September to mom-and-pop shops and self-employed businesses in dire need. The third batch of relief money is to be doled out in January to support the small businesses most affected by social distancing measures.
The effect that the country showed is similar to or greater than those yielded by other cases overseas, the KDI said. For instance, 24.3 percent of coupons handed out by the Taiwanese government in 2009 were spent to boost consumption.
The disaster relief had a positive impact on sales of semidurable goods and essential goods, but were not able to reach in-person service providers that have been hit hard by the pandemic.
Compared to sales before and after the distribution of disaster relief funds, sales of clothing and miscellaneous goods increased 11.2 percent on-year, after plummeting 17.8 percent.
Revenue in the travel sector, on the other hand, struggled to rebound. It saw a 61.1 percent year-on-year slump before the funds were distributed and a 55.6 percent drop afterward.
“There’s a limit to expanding the revenues of businesses that experienced substantial losses due to the virus, such as tourism and face-to-face customer service companies, by offsetting household income losses via relief funds in the midst of the pandemic,” the think tank said.
By Park Han-na (email@example.com)
Tensions loom as doctors plan mass rally
Seoul's 1st spy satellite sends images of Pyongyang
Ex-PPP leader to run for seat in less conservative Hwaseong city