NATIONAL

Pentagon: US suspends all planning for Aug. military exercise with S. Korea

By Yonhap
  • Published : Jun 19, 2018 - 07:57
  • Updated : Jun 19, 2018 - 08:03

WASHINGTON -- The United States military has suspended all planning for joint military exercises with South Korea scheduled for August, the Pentagon said Monday.

   The decision is in line with U.S. President Donald Trump's offer during his historic meeting with North Korean leader Kim Jong-un last week.

(Yonhap-AP)


   "Consistent with President Trump's commitment and in concert with our Republic of Korea ally, the United States military has suspended all planning for this August's defensive 'wargame' (Freedom Guardian)," Pentagon spokeswoman Dana White said in a statement.

   No decision has been made on subsequent exercises, and additional actions are being coordinated, she said. Defense Secretary Jim Mattis, Secretary of State Mike Pompeo and National Security Adviser John Bolton plan to meet at the Pentagon later this week to discuss the issue.

   Other exercises conducted by the U.S. military in the Pacific will not be affected, she added. (Yonhap)