진행자: 윤민식, Paul Kerry
1. 박근혜 전 대통령에 대한 정식 재판 시작
기사요약: 권력 남용과 국정농단 및 529억원대 뇌물수수 혐의로 구속기소된 전 대통령 박근혜에 대한 첫 정식 재판이 23일 열림으로서, 전두환, 노태우에 이어 세번째로 법정에 선 전직 대통령이 됐다. 이 날 국정 농단의 중심에 있었던 최순실도 나란히 재판을 받았으며, 40년 지기인 두 사람은 재판 내내 눈길 한번 마주치지 않았다고 한다.
Trial opens for ousted Park over corruption charges
 As a judge announced the opening of a trial hearing, former President Park Geun-hye stepped inside a courtroom in handcuffs and a navy suit with her prison number 503 attached to her jacket. Amid a barrage of camera flashes and with some 150 spectators looking on, Park entered the same courtroom where two of South Korea’s former presidents had also stood trial.
* step inside: 들어가다
* courtroom: 법정
* in handcuffs: 수갑을 차고
* barrage of ~: 빗발치는 ~ (유의어: hailstorm of. A was pelleted by B: A에게 B가 빗발쳤다)
* spectators: 관중, 관람객, 방청객
* look on: 지켜보다 (=spectate. onlooker: 구경꾼)
* stand trial: 재판을 받다
 It was her first public appearance since she was taken into custody on March 31 over corruption charges that ended her presidency.
* public appearance: 공식 석상에 모습을 나타냄
* taken into custody: 구금되다
* corruption charges: 부정부패 혐의
 Soon afterward, her longtime friend Choi Soon-sil, who is at the center of the corruption scandal, walked into the room at the Seoul District Court and sat side by side with Park, this time to stand trial together.
* soon afterward: 얼마 지나지 않아
* side by side: 나란히
 Park and Choi are accused of colluding to take bribes totaling 59.2 billion won ($52.7 million) from three local firms -- Samsung, Lotte and SK -- and to extort donations from local firms for entities controlled by Choi in return for policy favors.
* accused of ~: ~ 혐의를 받고 있다 (=suspected of~)
* collude: 공모하다/결탁하다 (=conspire)
* extort: 갈취하다 (swindle: 사기로 금품을 갈취하다)
* entity: 독립체, 단체
* policy favor: 정책 관련 특혜
2. 넷플릭스 개봉 영화, 칸 영화제서 논란
기사요약: 칸 영화제의 화제가 된 옥자를 포함한 넷플릭스 개봉 영화들을 둘러싸고 극장에 거의 걸리지 않거나, 아예 온라인으로만 볼 수 있는 영화들의 수상자격을 두고 논란이 이뤄지고 있다.
 This year’s Cannes Film Festival has been a sprawling, international referendum on Netflix, with votes registered in catcalls and applause, and some of the biggest names in cinema staking out their positions.
* sprawling: 널리 퍼진 (=extensive)
* referendum: 국민투표
* catcall: 야유
* stake out: ~에 대한 의견을 내놓다 (stake out-명사- : 잠복근무)
 As the world’s largest and most prestigious film festival, Cannes has often been a kind of glitzy, French Riviera town hall that measures the fluctuations of the movie industry. This year, the seismic impact of Netflix and its swelling movie ambitions have taken center stage.
* prestigious: 명망 높은
* glitzy: 화려한, 현란한 (=glamorous)
* fluctuation: 변동, 오르내림, 변화
* seismic impact: 커다란 영향
* swelling: 점점 커지는 (=mounting)
* take center stage: 주목받다, 각광받다
 The festival for the first time has two Netflix films in competition for the coveted Palme d’Or top prize: South Korean director Bong Joon-ho’s “Okja” and Noah Baumbach’s Adam Sandler-led “The Meyerowitz Stories (New and Selected).”
* covet: 탐내다, 갈망하다 (=long for~/crave)
* competition for ~: ~를 얻기 위한 경쟁
 Those selections sparked an outcry from French exhibitors, who recoiled at the thought of one of cinema’s highest honors going to a film that won’t play in their theaters.
* spark: ~를 촉발하다/불붙히다(=touch off)
* outcry: 격렬한 반응/항의 (=furor)
* recoil: 움찔하다, 진저리치다
* at the thought of ~: ~에 대한 생각에