The Korea Herald

ssg
소아쌤

Maestro Chung returns home for probe into his defamation charge

By 줄리 잭슨 (Julie Jackson)

Published : July 13, 2016 - 18:09

    • Link copied

Maestro Chung Myung-whun returned home Wednesday to accede to a prosecution probe later this week into his defamation allegation filed by the former head of the Seoul Philharmonic Orchestra (SPO).

   "I don't think it's an investigation. Rather I think the time to disclose the truth has come," the former SPO music director told reporters upon arrival at Incheon International Airport, west of Seoul.

   Both Chung and his wife, just identified as her family Koo, were accused by former SPO CEO Park Hyun-jung in March this year, who quit as the SPO chief over her alleged sexual and verbal harassment of some SPO members in December 2014. At that time, 10 SPO members filed a complaint with police against Park over the allegations. But Park's charges were cleared due to lack of evidence in August last year.            

   Chung's wife is suspected of ordering Chung's secretary to write and spread an anonymous letter containing Park's alleged wrongdoings.

   Chung countercharged Park with defamation later.

   Amid the legal wrangling, the maestro resigned as the SPO music director after 10 years of service at the end of last year.

   Asked about his stance on Park's claim, the conductor answered vaguely, "I have no particular position...(I'll speak about it) later."

   Earlier, the Seoul Central Prosecutors' Office in charge of the case said the maestro will be summoned for questioning as the accused at 10:00 a.m. on Thursday.

   The prosecution already confirmed the background of Park's accusation by summoning her last month, and notified Chung and his wife to show up before the prosecution for questioning. Chung's wife has refused to comply with the order.

   While in Seoul, Chung will undergo a separate police probe into his alleged embezzlement of airfare while leading the orchestra. (Yonhap)