Back To Top

Seoul verifying rumors of death of IS teenager (한국 정부, IS 김군 사망설 확인 중)

The South Korean government has begun the process of verifying news reports that a South Korean teenager thought to have joined an Islamic militant group early this year was killed in a U.S.-led air strike in northern Syria, officials said Thursday. “We are now trying to verify the facts with regard to the reports on his fate,” said a Seoul official on condition of anonymity.

[번역]
한국 정부가 올해 초, IS에 가담한 것으로 여겨지는 한국인 십대 소년 한 명이 시리아 북부지역에서 미군의 공습으로 사망했다는 뉴스보도에 대한 확인절차에 들어갔다고 목요일, 당국자들이 말했다. 익명의 한국 정부 관계자는 "우리는 지금 그의 생사 보도와 관련한 사실을 확인하려고 노력 중이다,"라고 말했다.
[/번역]

A local media outlet reported Wednesday that the U.S.-led coalition forces carried out a massive air strike campaign last week in a stronghold of the Islamic State including a unit for foreign IS members that potentially included the 18-year-old Korean man, identified only by his surname Kim.

[번역]
한 국내 언론 매체는 미국이 주도하는 다국적군은 지난 주, 김씨로만 알려진 한국인 소년(18세)이 소속돼 있을 것으로 보이는 IS 외국인 부대를 비롯한 IS 근거지에 대규모 공습을 단행했다.
[/번역]

After leaving a note in which he expressed his wish to join the IS, Kim traveled to Istanbul, Turkey, in January. He later went missing there. In February, the IS released a video clip in which a man, presumably Kim, was seen engaging in military drills.

[번역]
IS 가담 의사를 밝힌 메모를 남긴 채 김군은 지난 1월 터키, 이스탄불로 여행을 떠났다. 이후 김군은 그곳에서 실종됐다. 지난 2월, IS는 동영상 파일 하나를 공개했는데 동영상에는 김군으로 추정되는 한 남성이 군사훈련에 참여하고 있는 것으로 보였다. (코리아헤럴드 10월02일자 기사)
[/번역]

MOST POPULAR