NATIONAL

China hints at Kim Jong-un invitation to war memorial parade

By 박형기
  • Published : Apr 17, 2015 - 21:01
  • Updated : Apr 17, 2015 - 21:01

China hinted Friday that it has invited North Korean leader Kim Jong-un to a Chinese military parade in September marking the 70th World War II victory anniversary.

China has invited world leaders to the planned parade, set for Sept. 3, but the Chinese foreign ministry has not explicitly confirmed who had been asked to attend the event.

Asked whether China has invited both South Korean President Park Geun-hye and the North Korean leader Kim to attend the parade in Beijing, Chinese foreign ministry spokesman Hong Lei replied, "As we have said many times, we have sent invitations to leaders of all relevant countries to attend the commemorative activities marking the 70th anniversary."

"And we are still in communication with all relevant countries," Hong told a daily press briefing.

Kim has yet to visit China since taking the helm of North Korea in late 2011 amid strained ties over the North's nuclear ambitions. 

Last month, Chinese Foreign Minister Wang Yi visited Seoul and extended an invitation to Park to attend the September event in China.

Russia has said that Kim is among the world leaders who have accepted invitations to join a May 9 ceremony marking the 70th anniversary of the Soviet victory over Nazi Germany in World War II.

North Korea has not officially commented on a possible visit by Kim to Moscow, but it would be his first overseas trip since coming to power. (Yonhap)