A failure to revive the long-stalled six-party talks on ending North Korea's nuclear weapons program would aggravate the security situation on the Korean Peninsula, a pro-North Korea newspaper said Thursday, as South Korea remained on watch for another nuclear test by the regime.
The United States is provoking Pyongyang with its continued military exercises on the peninsula and hegemonic strategies, according to an article carried by Choson Sinbo, published by North Korean nationals residing in Japan. The newspaper is deemed a mouthpiece for the North Korean regime.
"The U.S. is feared to take an additional step and cross 'the red line' drawn by North Korea to pull the trigger of an all-out showdown," according to the article titled, "The biggest fear is a rash act by the U.S."
Neighboring countries are trying to ward off such actions by the U.S. through the resumption of the six-party talks, the article said, adding that a failure of resumption efforts would severely exacerbate the current tensions on the peninsula.
"Related countries including China are making efforts to prevent rash acts by the U.S. through measures including the resumption of the six-party talks and if the (efforts) fail to bear fruit, the vicious circle of tension escalation could reach its extremity," the article said.
The article also warned that if the U.S. doesn't end its provocations, the North will go ahead with its threatened nuclear test.
"Unless the U.S.' war agitation is put on hold, the North will conduct a variety of exercises aimed at utilizing (North Korea's) diversified nuclear deterrence measures as strike power (targeted) at many mid-to-long range objects," the newspaper said, also citing the country's threat in March to conduct an additional nuclear test.
The North has repeatedly called for the reopening of the multilateral disarmament-for-aid talks, which have been on hold since late 2008. The North has apparently indicated it may wait and see if the resumption efforts bear fruit until it makes a decision on the threatened nuclear test.
In late March, Pyongyang warned of a "new form" of nuclear test, sparking security concerns for the Korean Peninsula.
South Korea's Defense Minister Kim Kwan-jin said earlier in the day that North Korea has made all necessary preparations for its fourth nuclear test and is waiting for the right timing to proceed. (Yonhap)