|Spring bibimbap with tuna (Korean Bapsang)|
● 2 servings of cooked rice
● 3-4 asparagus spears
● 1-2 small carrots
● 2-3 lettuce leaves or a handful of spring mix
● 1 scallion (or young spring onion)
● 3-4 red radishes
● 1/4 cup fresh green peas (or frozen)
● 1 small canned tuna
For the sauce:
● 2 tablespoons soy sauce
● 2 teaspoons gochugaru (Korean red chili pepper flakes)
● 1/2 teaspoon sugar
● 1 teaspoon sesame oil
● 1/2 teaspoon minced garlic
● 1/2 teaspoon sesame seeds
● 1 teaspoon lemon juice or vinegar
Mix all the sauce ingredients well, and set aside.
Thinly slice the asparagus, carrots, lettuce and scallion into bite size pieces. If the carrots are thick, cut in half lengthwise first and then thinly slice diagonally. Cut the red radishes into match stick size.
Cook the peas in salted boiling water until cooked through, 6-8 minutes (less if frozen).
Heat a lightly oiled pan over medium-high heat. Separately saute the asparagus and carrots for a minute or two. You can saute the scallion briefly if you like. The vegetables should be crispy.
Place a serving of rice in a big bowl. Nicely arrange a small amount of each vegetable and tuna over the rice. Serve with the sauce.
By Ro Hyo-sun
For more recipes visit www.koreanbapsang.com.