Published : 2013-10-02 19:03
Updated : 2013-10-02 19:03
Gourmands eager to nab reservations for one of Seoul Gourmet’s events will have to wait a little bit longer.
The international food festival, which has been held annually in Seoul since 2009 and was originally slated to run from Oct. 21 to 25 this year, has been put on hold.
According to a statement released by the event’s organizing committee, “the fifth Seoul Gourmet festival has been postponed indefinitely.”
A stagnant economy was stated as one of the reasons behind difficulties in meeting budget requirements for this year’s festival, which, according to the statement, was slated to feature eight high-profile chefs from around the world.
“It is an unfortunate development caused by totally unexpected funding difficulties,” said Seoul Gourmet Organizing Committee chairman Samuel Koo. “Naturally, we’ll try to reschedule the event as soon as possible.”
Until now, the event was held annually without a hitch for four consecutive years, with each year featuring world-renowned chefs like Michel Troisgros and Magnus Nilsson and with last year’s Seoul Gourmet Grand Gala feast a sold-out event.
According to a Grand Hyatt Seoul representative, all 210 seats, which cost 345,000 won per person, were filled at last year’s Grand Gala feast, which was held at the Grand Hyatt Seoul.
Despite the delay, plans are to continue Seoul Gourmet with a target goal for late spring, according to Koo.
“We are aiming to hold the event this coming spring,” said Seoul Gourmet Organizing Committee vice chairman Rose Hyejung Han. “You can look forward to a star lineup.”