Published : 2013-08-20 14:56
Updated : 2013-08-20 14:56
A local court accepted a request Tuesday by the chairman of food and entertainment conglomerate CJ Group to temporarily release him from jail for hospital treatment.
The Seoul Central District Court decided to suspend the execution of the confinement of Lee Jay-hyun for three months from Tuesday.
Lee has been behind bars since early last month under a court-issued arrest warrant pending trial on charges of creating a massive slush fund.
Lee's defense lawyers later requested for a temporary suspension of his custody, submitting a doctor's written statement that said the chairman needs a transplant operation due to chronic kidney disease.
According to the conglomerate, the chairman suffers from various illnesses, including chronic renal failure, Charcot-Marie-Tooth disease and high blood pressure.
Lee has reportedly been staying at a hospital ward within the Seoul Detention Center on the southern outskirts of Seoul over the past week.
The 53-year-old tycoon was indicted on charges of creating slush funds worth hundreds of millions of dollars and evading taxes in the process, according to prosecutors.
He is facing multiple charges such as embezzlement, tax fraud and dereliction of duty, prosecutors said. (Yonhap News)