Boston police: Bombing suspect is in custody

By KH디지털1
  • Published : Apr 20, 2013 - 11:36
  • Updated : Apr 20, 2013 - 11:36

 A 19-year-old college student wanted in the Boston Marathon bombings was taken into custody Friday evening after a manhunt that left the city virtually paralyzed and his older brother and accomplice dead.

   Police announced via Twitter that Dzhokhar Tsarnaev was in custody. They later wrote, ``CAPTURED!!! The hunt is over. The search is done. The terror is over. And justice has won. Suspect in custody.''

   Tsarnaev's brother, 26-year-old Tamerlan, was killed early Friday in a furious attempt to escape police.

   Dzhokhar Tsarnaev had been hiding in a boat in a neighborhood near Boston. The crowd gathered near the scene let out a cheer when spectators saw officers clapping.

   ``Everyone wants him alive,'' said Kathleen Paolillo, a 27-year-old teacher who lives in the area.

   Boston Mayor Tom Menino tweeted, ``We got him,'' along with a photo of the police commissioner speaking to him. Watertown residents poured out of their homes and lined the streets to cheer police vehicles as they rolled away from the scene.

   During a long night of violence Thursday into Friday, the brothers killed a police officer, severely wounded another officer and hurled explosives at police in a car chase and gun battle, authorities said.

   The suspects were identified by law enforcement officials and family members as Dzhokhar and 26-year-old Tamerlan Tsarnaev, ethnic Chechen brothers who had lived in Dagestan, which neighbors Chechnya in southern Russia. They had been in the U.S. for about a decade, an uncle said, and were believed to be living in Cambridge, Massachusetts.

   Tamerlan Tsarnaev, who had been known to the FBI as Suspect No. 1 and was seen in surveillance footage of the marathon in a black baseball cap, was killed overnight, officials said. His younger brother, who had been dubbed Suspect No. 2 and was seen wearing a white, backward baseball cap in the images from Monday's deadly bombing _ escaped a shootout and had been on the run.

   Their uncle in Maryland, Ruslan Tsarni, pleaded on live television Friday: ``Dzhokhar, if you are alive, turn yourself in and ask for forgiveness.''

   The bombings on Monday killed three people, including a student from China, and wounded more than 180, instantly raising the specter of another terrorist attack on U.S. soil.

   Investigators in the Boston case have shed no light on the motive for the bombing and have said it is unclear whether it was the work of domestic or international terrorists.

   A federal law enforcement official said the FBI interviewed Tamerlan Tsarnaevt at the request of a foreign government in 2011 and that nothing derogatory was found.

   The FBI shared its information with the foreign government, said the official, who  spoke on the condition of anonymity because the person was not authorized to speak about the case publicly. The official did not say what country made the request about Tamerlan Tsarnaev or why.

   Authorities in Boston suspended all mass transit and warned close to 1 million people in the entire city and some of its suburbs to stay indoors as the hunt for Suspect No. 2 went on. Businesses were asked not to open. People waiting at bus and subway stops were told to go home. The Red Sox and Bruins postponed their baseball games.

   ``We believe this man to be a terrorist,'' said Boston Police Commissioner Ed Davis. ``We believe this to be a man who's come here to kill people.''

   State Police spokesman Dave Procopio said police realized they were dealing with the bombing suspects based on what the two men told a carjacking victim during their getaway attempt overnight.

   Shortly before Dzhokhar Tsarnaev's capture, the White House said President Barack Obama has spoken by phone with Russian President Vladimir Putin about the investigation.

   Obama ``praised the close cooperation that the United States has received from Russia on counter-terrorism, including in the wake of the Boston attack,'' the White House said in a statement. (AP)