Heugimja-juk (Institute of Traditional Korean Food)
Heugimjajuk is a kind of porridge made of finely ground black sesame and non-glutinous rice. It is sweet in taste and easily digested, so it is a good nourishing meal. According to Oriental medicine, heugimja (black sesame) promotes health, makes hair healthy, and keeps weight off.
● 1 cup non-glutinous rice, 1 cup water
● 1 cup black sesame seeds, 2 cups water
● 4 1/2 cups water, 1 1/2 tsp salt
1. Preheat the frying pan and stir-fry sesame seeds for 40 min. on low heat.
2. Grind sesame seeds with water in a mixer for 3 min. sieve finely.
3. Put the rice and water in the mixer, grind it for 2 min. and sieve finely.
4. Put the ground rice and water in the pot, boil it on high heat for 5 min. with stirring not to be lumped.
5. When it boils, reduce the heat to medium, cover the lid on to be steamed. Boil it for 20 min. with stirring occasionally, add ground black sesame, boil it for 5 min. more.
6. When the porridge is well-done, season with salt. Bring it to a boil once more.
● Re-fried black sesame seeds may be available in the market. The finer black sesame makes the porridge softer.
(Adapted from the Institute of Traditional Korean Food)