Back To Top

Samsung hints at all-out war against new iPhone

Samsung Electronics Co. will seek a global sales ban on the upcoming iPhone as part of an all-out war against Apple Inc., a high-ranking company official said Wednesday, signaling a shift in its position on the deepening legal row.

Samsung, which is embroiled in some 20 patent lawsuits with Apple around the world, will likely throw down the gauntlet over the new iPhone that Apple is expected to present next week, the senior vice president said.

"It is true that Apple was free-riding on our mobile technologies," the executive told reporters in Seoul, requesting customary anonymity.

Samsung will "likely" seek a sales ban on the new iPhone overseas, the executive added. The company is also reviewing a sales injunction in South Korea on the new iPhone, which media have referred to as the iPhone 5.

Apple has invited reporters to its Cupertino headquarters for an iPhone-related event on Oct. 4, the Wall Street Journal reported.

So far, Samsung has not asked Apple for licensing fees on the mobile patents in question because Apple contributes some 10 trillion won in revenues for Samsung every year, the executive said.

"But our response will take a turn," the source added, hinting that the company will become more aggressive.

Apple is a major semiconductor customer for Samsung, the world's largest memory chipmaker and the world's second-biggest mobile-phone maker.

The two companies clashed in a court in the Hague earlier this week. Samsung, which failed to overturn a German court's ban on its tablet PC in Germany, is seeking a sales ban on the iPhone and the iPad in the Netherlands.

The Dutch court is scheduled to deliver a ruling next month, media reports said.

"Apple is not engaged in the lawsuits to get cross-licensing deals," the Samsung official said. "It's a matter of pride for Apple. It probably wanted to give the impression that Samsung is copying (Apple)."  (Yonhap News)

 

<한글기사>

삼성, 애플과 전면적 선언

 

삼성이 애플과 전면적인 소송 방침을 거듭 확인 했다.

핵심관계자는 28일 삼성서초사옥에서 기자들과 만나 '애플과 특허 소송 전면전'

방침을 묻는 질문에 "항상 상대가 있는 것"이라며 "보통 특허 소송은 특허료에 대한 것인데, 애플은 그게 아니지 않느냐"고 말했다.

이 관계자는 "보통은 크로스 라이센싱을 하거나 금액을 낮춰서 합의하지만,  우 리가 볼때 애플은 자존심 문제"라며 "그쪽에서는 우리가 모방한다는 이미지를 주고 싶었을 것이지만, 모바일 기술이라는 측면에서 애플이 무임승차한 것이 사실"이라고 강조했다.

이 관계자는 "우리 입장에서 애플은 1년에 10조를 구매하는 큰 거래선이니까 그 런 부분에 대해 양해하고 넘어간 것"이라며 "그러나 상황이 이렇게 되면 우리도  대 응이 달라질 수밖에 없는 것"이라며 강경 대응 방침을 거듭 밝혔다.

그는 또 국내 소송에 대해선 "한국 소비자의 선택이라는 문제가 있고 애플과의 소송에 대한 글로벌 전략을 같이 고려해야 한다"며 "그런 부분을 고려해 판단할 것" 이라고 말했다.

이어 "그런 차원에서 지금 네덜란드에서 소송을 하고 있는 것 아니냐"며 아이폰 5에 대해서도 외국에서 소송을 진행할 것이냐는 질문에는 "그렇게 가지 않을까 싶다 "고만 언급했다.

이 관계자는 애플이 로열티 가격을 공개한 것에 대해선 "정말 그 문제는 관행적 으로 비밀 협상인데 재판장에서 그런 것까지 공개하니까 이 분야 전문가들 사이에 다급하다는 인식을 주는 것"이라고 지적했다.

그는 로열티 가격 공개 자체에 대한 소송 가능성을 묻는 질문엔 "맞는  말"이라 며 "작은 일이 아니고 있을 수 없는 일"이라고 거듭 강조했다.

 

MOST POPULAR
LATEST NEWS
leadersclub
subscribe