Back To Top

Court orders SK Communications to pay compensation for info leakage

A South Korean court ordered on Sunday the operator of the country's third most-visited Internet portal to pay out compensation to a user whose information was leaked during last month's massive hacking attack.

Two popular Web sites operated by SK Communications Co. were hacked in late July, causing the private information of 35 million users to be leaked. The cyber attack was the worst online breach ever in the world's most wired country.

On Aug. 1, Chung, a 25-year-old man identified only by his last name, asked the Seoul Central District Court to deliver a summary judgement to order SK Communications to pay 1 million won (US$925) in compensation for the security breach. The court said it ordered the operator of the Nate search engine and Cyworld social networking Web site to pay the compensation.

SK Communications said it cannot accept the court's decision, saying that it will take legal action.

"As police investigations into the hacking incident have not yet to be finished, we will raise objection to the court order and file a lawsuit against it," said an official at SK Communications.

In a similar case, a 40-year-old lawyer, known by his surname Lee, filed a damage suit against SK Communications, demanding 3 million won in compensation for the leakage of his personal information and mental stress. It was the first damage suit related to the hacking.

A flurry of similar suits are likely to follow as several Internet communities have been considering filing class-action suits against SK Communications. (Yonhap News)

<한글기사>

`네이트 해킹' 피해자에 위자료 지급명령

SK컴즈 "이의 제기할 방침"

네이트와 싸이월드 회원의 개인정보 유출  사태 와 관련, 피해자에게 위자료를 지급하라는 법원 결정이 나왔다.

서울중앙지법은 네이트ㆍ싸이월드 회원 정모(25)씨가 SK컴즈를 상대로 `위자료 100만원을 지급하라'며 낸 소송에서 SK컴즈에 지급명령을 했다고 14일 밝혔다.

정씨는 소장에서 "SK컴즈는 회원의 정보를 보호할 책임이 있는데도 언론에 보도 된 이후에 사건을 인지했다"며 "개인정보 관리 소홀로 개인정보 자기결정권 등이 침 해됐다"고 주장했다.

지급명령은 SK컴즈 측이 2주일 이내에 이의를 제기하지 않으면 확정판결과 같은 효력을 지니며, 만약 이의를 제기하면 향후 정식재판 절차가 진행된다.

이에 대해 SK컴즈 관계자는 "아직 경찰 수사도 끝나지 않았고 과실 여부가 정확 히 드러나지 않는 상황인 만큼 이의를 제기해 향후 정식재판 절차를 밟아나갈  예정 이다"라고 밝혔다.

한편 지난달 29일에는 이모(40) 변호사가 SK컴즈를 상대로 같은 사안으로  "300 만원을 지급하라"며 첫 손해배상 청구 소송을 제기한 바 있다.

지난달 28일 회원 규모 3천500만명으로 추정되는 네이트와 싸이월드에 대한  해 킹사실이 알려지면서 인터넷을 중심으로 집단소송을 준비하는 여러 카페가 생기는 등 SK컴즈를 상대로 한 손해배상 청구 소송이 계속 이어질 전망이다.

MOST POPULAR
LATEST NEWS
padcast
Korea Herald Youtube
subscribe