Back To Top
National

Retired Air Force chief indicted for offering military secrets to Lockheed Martin

Prosecutors have indicted three retired high-ranking Air Force officers including a former four-star general on charges of providing classified military information to the U.S. defense giant Lockheed Martin in recent years, officials said Wednesday.

Among them was a former Air Force chief of staff identified only by his surname Kim. Kim, 81, led the Air Force from 1982-84. Since 1995, he has run a local weapons brokerage firm.

The indictment has triggered seething public criticism over military retirees’ poor national security awareness and deteriorating sense of responsibility.

The other two, who worked with Kim at the same firm, are a former colonel, surnamed Lee, and a former senior master sergeant. All three have been indicted without detention, officials at the Seoul Central District Prosecutors’ Office said.

According to the prosecution, the three received a total of 2.5 billion won ($2.35 million) from Lockheed Martin on several occasions in 2009 and 2010.

Investigators suspect that from 2004 and early last year on 12 separate occasions, Kim offered to the U.S. firm confidential information including the joint strategy objective plan, mid-term defense plans and other pieces on the Air Force’s plans to bolster its military capabilities.

Kim appears to have obtained the information from his high-level acquaintances in the military and the state weapons acquisition agency, prosecutors said.

“When such secrets are leaked, what our Air Force should secure to improve their capabilities would also be revealed. So, there are concerns that our desired effects of introducing such weapons will be weakened or neutralized,” a prosecution official said, declining to be named.

“They are former high-level military commanders who should have a strong sense of security. This case shows their serious lack of security awareness and moral hazards.”

Kim is also alleged to have offered information on the number of and the budget for the Joint Air to Surface Standoff Missiles South Korea is seeking to purchase to enable its military to launch precision strikes on North Korean strategic military targets.

He also purportedly handed over minutes of military meetings to the U.S. firm. The minutes contain military discussions on how many new weapons systems need to be introduced here and when the purchases would be made.

The weapons systems mentioned in the minutes include special equipment necessary for fighter jets to detect targets at night and other precision-guided bombs. Last year, Lockheed Martin was selected by the Defense Acquisition Program Administration as a “preferred bidder” in a project to introduce this detection equipment.

Prosecutors suspect that Kim handed over confidential information to the firm via email or when he and Lockheed Martin officials gathered here or overseas for marketing meetings.

Kim currently denies most of the charges, officials said.

Prosecutors have already called in and questioned three Lockheed Martin employees over the case. They all reportedly claimed that they did not know the information was classified.

Lockheed Martin is alleged to have used such information in their marketing efforts. Obtaining information on what the Korean Air Force needed, it held sessions here to explain the advantages of its weapons systems.

Citing its policy, the U.S. firm said that it cannot comment on the details of ongoing investigations.

“We are aware of, and fully cooperating with, the ongoing investigation by the Seoul Prosecutor’s Office. Lockheed Martin is committed to complying with the laws of the United States, Korea, and every country where we do business and we require all of our employees and others working with us to comply with all applicable laws,” it said in an e-mail message.

By Song Sang-ho
(sshluck@heraldcorp.com)

 

<한글 기사>


前공군참모총장이 록히드마틴에 軍기밀 유출


합동전략목표•국방중기계획 등 12회 누설
공사 선후배 등 활용 정보수집…25억 챙겨


우리 공군의 무기구매계획 등 2, 3급  군사기밀을 미국의 유수 군수업체 록히드마틴에 넘겨준 예비역 공군 수뇌부와 간부들이 검찰 에 적발됐다.

특히 이 중에는 공군참모총장을 지낸 인사까지 포함돼 군 고위 지휘관 출신들의 도덕적 해이와 안보 불감증이 그야말로 심각한 지경에 이른 것으로 지적됐다.

서울중앙지검 공안1부(이진한 부장검사)는 공군의 전력증강 사업과 관련, 군사 기밀을 록히드마틴사에 누설한 혐의(군사기밀보호법 위반)로 공군참모총장 출신인 무기중개업체 S사 대표 김모(81)씨를 불구속 기소했다고 3일 밝혔다.

김씨는 공군사관학교 2기 출신으로 5공 때인 1982~1984년 공군참모총장을 지내다 예편한 뒤 1995년부터 S사를 운영하며 군수산업에 종사해왔다.

또 S사 전 부사장 이모(62.예비역 공군대령)씨와 이 회사 상무이사  송모(60.예 비역 공군상사)씨도 같은 혐의로 불구속 기소했다.

◇어떤 기밀 유출됐나 = 검찰에 따르면 김씨는 록히드마틴의 국내 무역대리점을 맡아오며 2004년부터 작년 초까지 '합동군사전략목표기획서(JSOP)', '국방중기계획'

등 공군 전력증강 사업과 관련한 2, 3급 군사기밀을 12차례에 걸쳐 록히드마틴 측에 넘긴 혐의를 받고 있다.

김씨 등이 넘긴 기밀에는 우리 군이 북한 내부의 전략 표적을 정밀타격하기 위해 도입을 추진 중인 합동원거리공격탄(JASSM) 수량과 예산, 장착 전투기 배치 장소 등을 기록한 문서가 포함된 것으로 전해졌다.

또 전투기에 탑재돼 주•야간 표적을 탐지•식별하는 야간표적식별장비나 다목적 정밀유도 확산탄, 중거리 GPS 유도키트의 도입수량과 시기 등이 기재된 회의자료 도 넘어간 것으로 조사됐다.

◇25억 수수료 챙겼다 = 록히드마틴은 김씨 등으로부터 받은 자료를 우리 공군을 상대로 한 마케팅에 활용한 것으로 보인다고 검찰은 설명했다.

우리 공군의 무기도입 계획 등을 미리 파악해 자사 무기의 장점을 소개하는 설명회를 열거나 방위사업청에 제출하는 사업제안서 작성 등에 참고했다는 것이다.

실제 록히드마틴사는 지난해 방사청으로부터 야간표적식별장비 도입을 위한 우선협상대상자로 선정됐다.

김씨 등이 이런 식으로 군사기밀을 넘기고 록히드마틴사로부터 챙긴 수수료는 2 009년과 2010년 총 25억원에 달한 것으로 검찰은 파악했다.

김씨 등은 기밀 내용을 회의자료 형식으로 만들어 록히드마틴 직원들과 국내 또 는 해외에서 마케팅 회의를 할 때 직접 전달하거나 이메일로 건네준 것으로 드러났 다.

검찰은 록히드마틴 직원 3명을 참고인 신분으로 불러 김씨 등이 기밀을 넘긴 경 위를 파악했다. 검찰은 이들의 혐의도 조사했으나 군사기밀인지 몰랐다고 주장하는 데다 혐의를 입증할 증거가 없어 입건하지 않았다고 설명했다.

◇기밀 어떻게 수집했나 = 검찰은 일단 김씨 등이 공군사관학교 선후배 관계 등 공군 내부의 친분 등을 활용해 방사청 등 실무자로부터 무기 도입계획 관련 기밀을 탐지•수집한 것으로 추정하고 있다.

그러나 김씨 등은 해당 내용이 인터넷이나 방사청에서 공개된 자료라 기밀이 아 니라고 주장한 것으로 전해졌다. 또 회의 자료를 만든 것은 맞지만 직접 건넨 적은 없고 이메일로 보낸 적도 없다며 누설 혐의도 부인한 것으로 알려졌다.

검찰 관계자는 "이 같은 기밀이 누설되면 우리 공군이 확보해야 할 주요 군사력 이 그대로 노출돼 해당 무기 또는 장비의 도입 효과를 약화하거나 무력화할 우려가 있다"고 말했다.

이 관계자는 특히 "누구보다 안보의식이 투철해야 할 군 고위 지휘관 출신 인사 가 사업상 목적으로 군사기밀을 누설한 것은 심각한 안보 불감증과 도덕적 해이를 보여주는 것"이라고 지적했다. (연합뉴스)

MOST POPULAR