NATIONAL

North Korea pushes Seoul on mountain tours

By 신혜인
  • Published : Apr 11, 2011 - 10:27
  • Updated : Apr 11, 2011 - 10:27

Hyundai urges Pyongyang to withdraw threat to strip rights to Mount Geumgang travel


North Korea’s threat to strip a South Korean firm of exclusive rights in conducting tours to its scenic resort appears to be aimed at getting the Seoul government to resume doing it financial favors, officials and analysts here said Sunday.

The communist North, suffering from deepening food shortages and international isolation, has said it may terminate an exclusive contract with Seoul’s Hyundai Asan to arrange tours to its Mount Geumgang resort, calling the South “fully responsible” for such outcome.

South Korea suspended tours to the North after one of its tourists was shot dead by a North Korean soldier in 2008.

The tours had been a symbol of reconciliation between the two divided countries, as well as a large source of income for the impoverished Pyongyang, which has been relying on outside aid to feed its people since the 1990s. Pyongyang had been making more than $30 million a year from the venture before it was shut down, according to government data.

While upping efforts to resume tours, the North rejected Seoul’s call for a joint investigation into the case and conducted two deadly attacks against the South last year, leading to a suspension of aid and regular dialogue.

An unidentified spokesman for the Korea Asia-Pacific Peace Committee said North Korea has informed Hyundai it “may end the firm’s monopoly rights,” adding “patience with the South” on the issue was running out, Pyongyang’s official Korean Central News Agency reported Saturday. 
ROAD TO NOWHERE — The gates of an inter-Korean road leading to Mount Geumgang are closed in Goseong, Gangwon Province,Monday. (Yonhap News)


The spokesman also said Pyongyang may pass over tourism rights to overseas businessmen while continuing to allow Hyundai to run them from the South, hinting at the possibility of expanding the scope of tours to earn more foreign currency.

Speculations had it here that Pyongyang may move to let Chinese firms operate the tours.

Last May, Pyongyang had attempted to draw Chinese tourists to the resort area via Chinese travel agencies, a move that backfired due to Hyundai Asan’s claim over the resort facilities it built.

South Korea sees North Korea’s recent move as an indication of its growing urgency to have the tours reopen, said an official at the Unification Ministry here, which oversees affairs with Pyongyang.

“Such measure, however, is unacceptable. It not only means a breach of contract (with Hyundai) but also goes against international practices,” the official added, declining to comment further before his ministry unveils an official position.

Hyundai Asan urged Pyongyang to withdraw its threat, claiming the contract could not be cancelled unilaterally.

“The contract can lose validity only under the agreement of both parties,” the conglomerate said in a statement.

Company officials said they were trying to identify North Korea’s true intentions, adding they will also discuss with their government the issue of resuming tours at an early date.

Hyundai Asan has been asking for government approval on resuming the tours, citing inter-Korean relations as well as its own economic loss.

Tours to Mount Geumgang, about 50 kilometers from the heavily fortified inter-Korean border, began in 1998 under the liberal Kim Dae-jung government in Seoul. Given a rare chance to visit the North since the 1950-53 Korean War separated the country, a growing number of South Korean tourists had been taking part in the tours before suspension.

Pyongyang appears to be hoping for softened measures by the South Korean government by pressing Hyundai Asan, analysts said, also noting the upcoming 100th anniversary of the birth of North Korean founder Kim Il-sung.

Facing the need to first mend ties with Seoul to rejoin larger-scale peace talks with regional powers, Pyongyang has been increasing appeals for inter-Korean dialogue.

The World Food Program announced last month that more than 6 million of North Korea’s 24 million people are in need of outside food aid.

South Korea and the U.S., however, continue to suspect Pyongyang is secretly stockpiling food to prepare for potential war or special handouts meeting the 100th anniversary of the late Kim next year.

Aid to North Korea had been steadily decreasing since the right wing Lee Myung-bak government took power in 2008 and came to a complete halt in November when North Korea bombarded a border island, killing four South Koreans.

By Shin Hae-in (hayney@heraldcorp.com)

<관련 한글 기사>

정부 '北 금강산 조치'에 대응책 부심

南압박.외국인 유치 의도..실효성 의문

현대아산의 금강산 관광사업 독점권을 취소키로한 8일 북한의 조치에 따라 우리 정부가 대응책 마련에 부심하고 있다.

정부는 "있을 수 없는 일이며 받아들일 수 없다"는 입장을 보이고 있다.

통일부 당국자는 10일 "계약 내용을 일방적으로 변경하는 조치는 남북 사업자 간 합의와 당국 간 합의를 위반하는 것은 물론 국제관례에도 어긋나는 일"이라며  "이런 조치를 즉각 철회해야 한다"고 말했다.

그러나 정부가 실효성 있는 대책을 마련하기는 쉽지 않다. 지난 2000년 남북 합의에 따라 경제교류와 협력과정에서 생기는 상사분쟁을 해결하기 위해 남북상사중재위원회를 설치하기로 했지만 이행에 이르지 못하고 있다.

이에 따라 이번에도 정부가 취할 수 있는 조치는 공개적으로 입장표명을 하는 선을 벗어나기 어려울 것으로 보인다.

정부 당국자는 "북측의 일방적 조치를 그냥 무시할지 아니면 정부 입장을  공개적으로 표명할지를 검토하고 있다"고 말했다.

북측에 항의성 전통문을 보낼 수도 있지만 이보다는 통일부 대변인 성명을 발표하거나 공식 브리핑을 통해 정부 입장을 공개적으로 표명하는 방안이 유력할 것으로 관측된다.

정부는 북측이 금강산지구 내 자산에 대해 몰수·동결 조치를 한 지난해  4월에도 통일부 대변인 성명을 통해 "남북 간 합의와 국제규범에 어긋나는 것으로 수용할 수 없으며 남북관계를 근본적으로 파탄시키는 부당한 조치"라며 "강력하게 대응해 나갈 것"이라고 밝혔었다.

중국을 통한 외교적 노력도 고려해볼 수 있다. 지난해 5월 유인촌 당시  문화체육관광부 장관은 중국 국가여유국에 공한을 보내 중국 관광객의 북한 지역 단체  관광 때 우리 측 자산이 있는 금강산 관광지구의 내금강, 외금강, 해금강 등을 대상에서 제외하도록 요청했었다.

현대아산에 대한 북측의 금강산관광 독점권 취소는 남측을 통한 관광이 재개될 기약이 없는 상황에서 북측이 중국인 등 외국인 관광객 유치를 통해 직접  외화벌이에 나서겠다는 의도에 무게가 실린 것으로 풀이된다.

다만 향후 남북관계 개선 등에 따른 관광재개 기대를 완전히 접지는 않은 듯 남측 지역을 통한 금강산 관광은 현대가 계속 맡는다는 점을 확인했다.

북측은 8일 조치를 발표하면서 (북측) 해당 기관에 금강산관광과 관련한 법적 조치를 취해줄 것을 제기했다고 밝혀 중국 등을 통한 금강산관광 사업을 위한  후속조치를 발표할 가능성을 배제하지 않았다.

지난해 중국 베이징(北京)에 본부를 둔 영국계 대북 관광전문업체인 '고려관광'은 서방관광객들을 인솔하고 금강산 외곽의 별금강 코스가 포함된 7박8일의 북한 관광을 실시했으며, 미국의소리(VOA) 방송은 북한이 외국인들의 금강산관광을 허용할 것으로 보인다고 지난해 말 보도하기도 했다.

북측이 실제 외국인 관광객을 유치해 금강산관광 지구 내 외금강호텔, 해금강호텔, 비치호텔 등 현대아산 소유 시설과 현대아산이 북측에 장기임차한 금강산호텔을 이용할 경우 계약위반 논란은 더욱 거세질 것으로 보인다.

그러나 정부와 현대아산 주변에서는 북측의 중국인 등 외국인 관광객 유치 실효성에 의문을 제기하고 있다.

남측을 제외한 외부인의 금강산 관광 수요를 확보하기 쉽지 않을 뿐만 아니라 관광객을 유치해도 거리가 먼 금강산까지의 인프라가 제대로 갖춰지지 않았기  때문이다.

평양에서 출발해 원산을 거쳐 금강산까지 가는 데도 도로 사정 등으로 6~8시간정도가 걸리는 것으로 알려졌다.

이 때문에 북한의 이번 조치가 금강산관광 재개를 위해 우리 정부를 압박하기 위한 것이라는 해석이 나오고 있다.

북측의 이번 독점권 취소 배경에는 2년 이상 재개되지 못하고 있는 금강산관광 중단이 원인이다.

정부는 2008년 7월 발생한 박왕자씨 피격 사망사건으로 중단된 금강산 관광 재개를 위해서는 피격사건에 대한 진상 규명과 재발방지책 마련, 관광객 신변안전  보장을 위한 제도적 장치 완비 등 이른바 '3대 선결과제'가 해결돼야 한다는 입장이다.  

여기에 지난해 발생한 천안함 폭침과 연평도 포격도발에 대한 북측의 책임있는 조치도 '3대 선결과제'에 앞서 해결돼야 한다는 것이 정부의 설명이다.

(연합뉴스)