Back To Top
National

S. Korea holds defense drills near Dokdo

(Yonhap News)
(Yonhap News)

South Korea on Friday conducted defense drills in waters near the easternmost islets of Dokdo to prepare for any situation in which foreigners trespass in the territorial waters, amid a continued diplomatic standoff with Japan.

The joint operation by Army, Air Force, Navy and Coast Guard kicked off earlier in the day under a scenario in which the maritime police play a leading role if citizens of other countries attempt to approach and illegally land on the islets. After the one-day training, the Navy will hold their own regular drills in the East Sea through Monday.

“The exercise is carried out under the scenario in which Coast Guard takes a leading role in repelling foreign civilians invading territorial waters near Dokdo or trying to land on Dokdo,” Col. Lee Boong-woo of the Combined Forces Command said at a briefing. “The military will provide support for the Coast Guard during the operation.”

Lee did not elaborate on the specific details of the military exercise.

The biannual drills previously involved the Marine Corps for landing operations but the government recently excluded such operations from this exercise, apparently mindful of high tension between South Korea and Japan over Dokdo since President Lee Myung-bak‘s unprecedented visit to the islets on Aug. 10. Japan, which has claimed Dokdo as its territory, strongly protested the visit.

A senior presidential official earlier said Seoul decided to exclude landing maneuvers as the government has already expressed its political determination through Lee’s visit to Dokdo.

South Korea rejected Tokyo‘s claims to Dokdo as amounting to denying Korea’s independence from its 1910-45 colonial rule because the country reclaimed sovereignty over its territory, including Dokdo and many other islands around the Korean Peninsula, when it regained independence.

South Korea has kept a small police detachment on Dokdo since 1954. (Yonhap News)



<관련 한글 기사>



軍, 외국인 독도 기습상륙 “즉시 퇴치”


우리 영토인 독도에 기습 상륙하는 외국인을 저지 퇴치하기 위한 독도방어훈련이 7일 실시된다.

해군 1함대사령부와 해양경찰이 합동으로 진행하는 올해 훈련은 예년보다 참가전력이 다소 축소됐다고 정부의 한 고위 소식통이 6일 전했다.

특히 훈련을 주관하는 해군 1함대는 해병대의 독도 상륙훈련을 하지 않기로 하고, 해병대를 아예 훈련에 참가시키지 않기로 했다.

정부 소식통은 “외국인이 선박을 타고 독도 영해를 침범하거나 독도에 기습 상륙을 시도하고 해경이 이를 주도적으로 저지하고 퇴치하는 시나리오에 의해 훈련이 진행될 것”이라면서 “해군은 독도 앞 해상에서 해경을 지원하게 될 것”이라고 설명했다.

해군 1함대는 7일부터 10일까지 연례적인 해상기동훈련을 하고, 7일에만 해경과 함께 독도방어 합동훈련을 진행한다. 그간 독도방어훈련은 하루만 했다고 소식통은 전했다.

군 당국은 올해 훈련과 관련, 정부의 방침에 따라 훈련 시나리오를 비롯한 훈련 일정 등에 대해 일절 함구하고 있다.

이는 일본을 불필요하게 자극할 필요가 없다는 판단에 따른 것으로 보인다.

그러나 일각에서는 우리 영토에서 매년 두 차례 정기적으로 실시하는 훈련을 너무 ‘로우키(Low-Key)’로 대응하는 것에 대한 비판도 나오고 있다.

1986년부터 시작된 독도방어훈련에는 해군의 한국형 구축함과 호위함, 해경 경비함, 공군 F-15K 전투기, 해상초계기(P-3C) 등이 참가한다.

정부 소식통은 “매년 해병대 병력이 CH-47 헬기를 이용해 독도 지형을 정찰하고 상륙하는 훈련을 해왔다”면서 “하지만 올해는 이 시나리오가 아예 배제됐다”고 말했다.

청와대 고위 관계자는 지난 4일 “이명박 대통령이 독도에 간 것 자체로 가장 강력한 방법으로 (영토 수호의지를) 이미 표명했다”면서 “군사 훈련을 몇백 번 해도 대통령이 독도를 간 것만큼 영토 수호의지를 강하게 표현할 수 없어 과유불급 차원에서 해병대 작전을 하지 않는 것”이라고 밝혔다.
MOST POPULAR