Back To Top

Two former presidential secretaries arrested in civilian spying case

A Seoul court on Tuesday issued arrest warrants for two former presidential secretaries on charges of instructing the destruction of evidence in an illegal surveillance of a businessman critical of President Lee Myung-bak years ago, court officials said.

Lee Young-ho, 48, a former presidential secretary for employment and labor affairs, is accused of ordering an ethics division official of the Prime Minister's Office (PMO) to erase data on computer hard drives in 2010 before prosecutors launched an investigation into the surveillance case involving the anti-government businessman.

Choi Jong-seok, who had previously worked under Lee Young-ho at the presidential office Cheong Wa Dae, is also accused of a role in the evidence destruction in the illegal civilian spying case and offering 40 million won ($35,650) to Jang Jin-su, the former PMO ethics division official, as hush money.

The Seoul Central District Court approved the arrest warrants for both Lee Young-ho and Choi, saying their crimes have been ascertained and there is a reasonable concern that the suspects might destroy evidence.

The politically sensitive case, which could affect the results of the April 11 parliamentary elections, reemerged last month after prosecutors relaunched an investigation into the allegations first made in 2010.

The reopening of the case resulted from a series of revelations by Jang, who was convicted of destroying evidence in connection with the unauthorized surveillance.

A total of seven officials, including Jang, were indicted for the illegal surveillance of the businessman, who posted a video clip criticizing the Lee government for resuming U.S. beef imports in 2008. They have appealed and are awaiting rulings by the Supreme Court.

At the end of the 2010 probe, prosecutors said they found no firm evidence the presidential office was involved. (Yonhap News)

<한글 기사>

檢, 민간인 불법사찰 "윗선 밝히겠다"

국무총리실의 민간인 불법사찰 관련 증거인멸을 지시한 혐의(증거인멸교사 등) 등으로 사전구속영장이 청구된 이영호(48) 전 청와대 고용노사비서관과 최종석(42) 전 청와대 고용노사비서관실 행정관에 대한 구속영장 이 3일 발부됐다.

이날 이들에 대한 영장실질심사(구속 전 피의자 심문)를 맡은 서울중앙지법 위현석 영장전담 부장판사는 "범죄사실이 소명되고 증거인멸의 우려가 있다"고 영장발부 이유를 밝혔다.

구속영장이 발부된 후 오후 11시30분께 10여분의 간격을 두고 차례로 검찰청사에서 나온 최 전 행정관과 이 전 비서관은 윗선의 지시 여부, 자금의 출처 등을 묻는 기자들의 질문에 묵묵부답으로 일관했다.

불법사찰 증거인멸 관련 핵심인물인 이 전 비서관과 최 전 행정관에 대한 구속 영장이 발부됨에 따라 앞으로 검찰 수사에 탄력이 붙을 전망이다.

검찰 관계자는 이번 재수사에 대해 "사찰과 증거인멸의 '윗선'을 밝히는 것이 수사의 본류"라고 밝혔다.

따라서 총리실과 청와대를 잇는 이른바 '비선(秘線) 보고라인'을 규명하고  '윗 선'의 실체를 캐는데 수사력이 집중될 예정이다.

이 전 비서관과 최 전 행정관은 지난 2010년 7월 검찰의 민간인 사찰 1차수사 당시 압수수색을 앞두고 장진수(39) 전 국무총리실 공직윤리지원관실 주무관에게 민 간인 사찰 관련 컴퓨터 자료를 삭제하도록 지시한 혐의를 받고 있다.

또 이들은 장 전 주무관에게 '입막음용' 돈을 건넸다는 혐의도 받고 있다.

이 전 비서관은 장 전 주무관에게 2천만원을 건넸지만 선의로 준 것이지 '입막음용'은 아니라고 지난달 20일 기자회견에서 주장했다.

최 전 행정관은 지난 2010년 8월께 이동걸 고용노동부 장관 정책보좌관을 통해 장 전 주무관에게 변호사비용 4천만원을 건넸다는 의혹을 받고 있다.

 

MOST POPULAR
LATEST NEWS
catch table
Korea Herald daum
subscribe