Soegogi jangjorim (Institute of Traditional Korean Food)
Soegogi jangjorim is a dish of beef (rib eye round, shank or top round) braised in soy sauce. The beef is usually ripped or cut into thin slices. This is a fairly salty dish, so it is storable and suitable as a basic side dish.
● 200g beef (top round), 3 cups water
● fragrant seasoning, 10g green onion, 20 g garlic
● 5 1/2 tbsp soy sauce, 2 tbsp sugar
● 30g garlic, 50g ground cherry pepper
1. Clean beef.
2. Cut the beef into 5-cm wide, 6-cm long and 5-cm thick chunks.
3. Trim and wash garlic. Remove tops of the ground cherry pepper and wash.
4. Put water and beef in the pot. Heat it for 3 minutes on high heat. When it boils, lower the heat to medium, add the fragrant seasoning and simmer for 30 minutes. Then take out the fragrant seasoning.
5. When the meat is well-done, add soy sauce and sugar, boil it for another 30 minutes until the soy sauce soup is reduced by half.
6. Add garlic to the soy sauce, boil it for 10 minutes. Add ground cherry pepper, boil it for 3 minutes more.
7. Tear the meat into 1 cm-thick pieces, place the meat on a dish, decorate with garlic and ground cherry pepper on the side. Spread soy sauce soup over the meat.
● Add soy sauce and sugar after the meat is well-done, to make sure it is not tough.
(Adapted from the Institute of Traditional Korean Food)