SEOUL, Dec. 1 (Yonhap) -- The military court said Thursday it has sentenced two Marine major generals to suspended terms on charges of making false accusations against their former top commander.
In a trial held Wednesday, the court handed down six-month suspended terms to the two major generals, surnamed Park and Hong.
Park was charged in May with spreading what turned out to be false allegations that former Marine Corps Chief of Staff Yoo Nak-joon had lobbied his way to the top Marine position and offered in writing to pay a key ruling party aide 350 million won (US$311,360) after his promotion. Military investigators had said Park ordered a junior of his to report the alleged bribery offer to the defense ministry.
In July, Hong, who had lost out to Yoo for the Marine commander position last year, was charged with conspiring with Park in the scheme.
"Maj. Gens. Park and Hong brought disgrace on the military, which values the chain of command and hierarchy," the court said.
"But we did consider that they received incorrect tips from a third party in the first place and imposed suspended sentences."
Separately, Hong was ruled not guilty on charges of defamation and bribery, and Park was freed of charges of abusing his authority. The court cited lack of evidence.
Yoo retired and stepped down as Marine chief in October this year.