Sinseollo (Institute of Traditional Korean Food)
Sinseollo is a casserole containing different types of meats, fish and vegetables in broth. The ingredients are placed around the pot according to color. Nuts and other delicacies accompany the meat, fish and vegetables in one pot. It provides an array of flavors and nutrients.
● Broth: 200g beef (brisket, shank), 100g radish, 8 cups water
● Seasoning sauce ① : 1 tsp clear soy sauce, 1/2 tsp minced green onion, 1/4 tsp minced garlic, 1 tsp clear soy sauce, 1/2 tbsp salt
● 100g beef (top round)
● For dumplings : 50g minced beef (top round), 20g tofu
● Seasoning sauce ②: 1/2 tsp clear soy sauce, 1/2 tsp minced green onion, 1/4 tsp minced garlic, 1/2 tsp sesame salt, 0.1g ground black pepper, 1 tsp sesame oil
● 30g tripe, 1 tsp salt, 3 tbsp wheat flour, 30g liver, 1/2 cups milk
● 50g spinal cord, 50g white flesh fish
● Seasoning for tripe, liver, spinal cord, white flesh fish : 1 tsp salt, 1/8 tsp ground black pepper
● 30g soaked sea slug, 2 sheets brown oak mushrooms
● 30g carrot, 2 cups water, 1 tsp salt
● 20g watercress, 4 egg, 1/2 cup wheat flour, 5 tbsp edible oil
● 2 walnut, 4 gingko, 1 tsp pine nuts
1. Clean off blood of broth beef. Put the beef and water into the pot, heat it up for 9 min. on high heat. Lower the heat to medium, simmer for 20 min. Add radish and continue to simmer for 20 min. Take out the beef and radish, cut them into pieces. Season with seasoning sauce ① (radish 80g, beef 130g). Filter the broth through a cotton cloth and season with clear soy sauce and salt (1.2kg).
2. Clean blood of beef, shred, season with 2/3 of seasoning ②.
3. Clean blood of minced beef. Wrap the tofu with cotton and mash by squeezing. Season the beef and tofu together with remained 1/3 of seasoning sauce ②, knead it, shape dumplings into 1.5 cm-diameter. Add salt and wheat flour to the tripe, clean, put some knife slits on it. Peel thin skin of the liver, slice, marinate in the milk for 10 min. Uncoil the spinal cord and cut into pieces. Slice the white flesh of the fish into strips.
4. Season the tripe, liver, spinal cord and fish flesh with salt and ground black pepper.
5. Cut the soaked sea slug into pieces.
6. Soak the dried brown oak mushrooms in water for 1 hour. remove stems, wipe water off. Shred them into same size as sea slug. Trim and wash carrot, cut into 2 cm-wide, 6 cm-long and 0.4 cm-thick.
7. Panfry egg for garnish, and panfry watercress after coating with wheat flour and beaten egg. Cut them into strips
8. Soak the walnut in hot water, and skin. Preheat the frying pan and oil. Stir-fry gingko for 2 min. on medium heat, then skin. Remove tops of the pine nuts and wipe the nuts with dry cotton cloths.
9. Coat the dumplings with wheat flour and beaten egg. Preheat the frying pan and oil, panfry the dumplings for 2 minutes on medium heat with rolling over.
10. Coat the tripe, liver, spinal cord and fish flesh with wheat flour and beaten egg. Preheat the frying pan, oil, panfry them on medium heat for 2 min. for each side. Cut them into strips.
11. Pour water into the pot, heat it up for 2 min. on high heat. When it boils, put the carrot and salt, scald for 20 sec.
12. Place the seasoned beef, shred radish and beef on the bottom of the Sinseollo pot. Decorate with prepared stuffs on the pot, and put the dumplings, walnuts, gingko and pine nuts on it.
13. Pour the broth into the Sinseollo pot, cover the lid. Place blazing charcoal under the funnel, boil it for 3 min.
● You can also put the fried ingredients at the bottom of the pot.
● Solidified alcohol can be substituted for charcoal.
(Adapted from the Institute of Traditional Korean Food)