Bulgogi is a dish barbecued of thinly sliced beef that is pre-marinated with a variety of seasonings on a hot barbecue pan. Bulgogi has been popular since the 1950s when the beef was served in thin slices to make it more tender and cut down the waiting time for diners.
Bulgogi (Institute of Korean Traditional Food)
● 300 g beef (sirloin)
● seasoning sauce : 2 tbsp soy sauce, 1 tbsp sugar, ½ tbsp honey, 1 tbsp minced green onion, 1 tbsp minced garlic, ½ tbsp sesame salt, 1/5 tsp ground black pepper, 50 g pear juice, 1 tbsp sesame oil
● 200 g onion
●100 g lettuce
1. Clean blood of beef with cotton cloth, remove fat and tendons, and cut into 5 cm-wide, 4 cm-long and 0.3 cm-thick along the opposite direction of the texture.
2. Skin onion and wash, shred at intervals of 0.5 cm.
3. Blend seasoning sauce.
4. Wash lettuce under running water.
5. Add seasoning sauce to the beef and mix with hands, then add onion, marinate it for 30 min.
6. Heat the barbecue pan, pan-fry the beef on high heat for 3 min. then turn over the beef, lower the heat to medium, fry it another 5 min.
7. Serve with lettuce.
Tip: Mushrooms and/or carrot may be added.
(Adapted from the Institute of Korean Traditional Food)