Back To Top

Pyongyang criticizes Seoul for stalled joint tourism program

SEOUL, (Yonhap) - North Korea said Saturday its recent decision to void Hyundai Group's exclusive right to theoperation of a tour program at Mount Kumgang complies with domestic and international laws.

In a report carried by Pyongyang's official Korean Central News Agency (KCNA), the communist nation's state organization in charge of the issue put the blame on the South Korean government for the stalled joint tour business.

Last week, the North announced that it has terminated Hyundai's monopoly on the tour program for the scenic mountain along its east coast, as the South continues to block the resumption of the joint venture, which had served as a cash cow for the impoverished country. It alluded to a plan to search for a foreign business partner, particularly from China.

The measure by North Korea was an "exercise of its legitimate sovereignty," the General Guidance Bureau for the Development of Scenic Spots said.

It stressed that the decision complies with the North's related law, international law and practices and does not violate any inter-Korean agreement.

The bureau said its contract with Hyundai stipulates that a party can call for a corrective measure if it becomes unable to achieve the purpose of the tour business because the other party does not carry out duties or responsibilities.

The claim was an answer to Seoul's stance that Pyongyang unilaterally broke its contract with Hyundai in breach of international law.

The bureau said the South Korean government is to blame for the situation.

"The South Korean authorities' unilateral suspension of the tour and use of this matter for inter-Korean confrontation are evidently an illegal action as they are in violation of the agreements between the businessmen for tourism and between
inter-Korean authorities," it said.

Hyundai launched the Mount Kumgang tour program in 1998 but it has been suspended since the summer of 2008, when a female South Korean tourist was shot dead there by a North Korean coast guard.

Pyongyang has been seeking to restart the business, but Seoul has demanded a formal apology for the killing of its citizen, along with measures to prevent the recurrence of such an incident and a guarantee of safety for tourists.

<한글 기사>

北 "관광 독점권 취소, 남북합의·국제관례 부합"

북한은 16일 현대그룹의 금강산 관광사업 독점권 효력 취소조치에 대해 "사업 당사자간 및 남북 당국간 합의에 위반되는 것이 없을 뿐 아니라 공화국법과 국제법, 국제관례에 전적으로 부합된다"고 주장했다.

조선중앙통신에 따르면 이날 북한 명승지종합개발지도국은 '남조선 당국은 금강산관광 합의를 파기시킨 책임에서 절대로 벗어날 수 없다'는 제목의 상보에서 "국제법과 국제관계를 봐도 계약상대방이 의무를 다하지 못해 일방이 손해를 보는 경우, 그 일방은 계약을 무효로 선언할 수 있는 권리를 가질 수 있다"고 밝혔다.

상보는 이어 "현대측과 맺은 합의서 제8조 2항에는 양측이 어느 일방이 합의서 및 부속문서에 규정한 의무와 책임을 이행하지 않거나 위반함으로 인해 사업의 목적을 달성할 수 없을 때에 다른 일방은 시정을 요구할 수 있다"며 "남조선 당국은 우리와 현대측과의 이 합의 이행마저 방해해 부득불 합의 당사자로서의 권리를 행사할 수밖에 없게 됐다"고 강조했다.

명승지종합개발지도국은 "금강산관광이 현실적으로 파탄됐음에도 현대측에 남측지역 관광을 계속 일임한 것은 현대에 대한 우리의 변함없는 신의와 특혜의 표시로 앞으로도 현대측과의 신의를 귀중히 여기고 금강산관광산업을 손잡고 잘해나갈  것"이라고 설명했다.

상보는 이어 "우리는 현대와의 관계를 고려해 지난 근 3년 동안 막대한 손해를 감수하면서 참고 또 참아왔다"며 "남조선 당국은 그 어떤 궤변으로도  금강산관광 합의를 파기시킨 책임에서 벗어날 수 없다"고 비난했다.

북한 대남기구인 조선아시아태평양평화위원회는 지난 8일 현대그룹의 금강산 관광사업 독점권의 효력을 취소한다고 발표했고 이에 대해 우리 정부는 "북한의  일방적 주장은 사업자 간 계약과 당국 간 합의, 국제규범에 어긋나는 불법적이고 부당한 처사로 받아들일 수 없으며 즉각 철회돼야 한다"는 견해를 밝혔다.

(연합뉴스)
MOST POPULAR
LATEST NEWS
subscribe