Back To Top
National

N. Korean military says it won't meet with reluctant S. Korea

North Korea's military said Thursday its side will no longer talk to South Korea as long as Seoul remains reluctant to lower tension, a day after their first defense talks in nearly half a year collapsed despite high anticipation.

In a bulletin carried by Pyongyang's official Korean Central News Agency, the North's delegation to the two-day colonel-level talks said its South Korean counterpart "unilaterally withdrew" after refusing to compromise on ways to set up higher-level defense talks.

"Our military and people no longer feel the need to meet (with the South) under the condition where the traitor's group is entirely refusing to talk while being reluctant to improve inter-Korean relations," the North Korean delegation said in the bulletin.

Following the talks at the border village of Panmunjom, South Korea said the North hindered progress by refusing to admit its responsibility for deadly provocations last year.

Tension remains high on the Korean Peninsula after North Korea bombarded a South Korean island in November and a South Korean warship sank in March in an attack blamed on Pyongyang.

The North has consistently denied involvement in the sinking and claimed that its artillery attack on Yeonpyeong was legitimate because the South provoked it first by holding a live-fire drill near the island with some shells falling on the North's side.

South Korea has maintained for months that the North must first account for its provocations and reaffirm its denuclearization pledge before Seoul can consider restoring exchanges with Pyongyang.

The military delegations ended their negotiations on Wednesday without agreeing on another round. The North said Thursday that the talks came to a halt seven times in total and "broke down after only wasting time," calling the South Korean negotiators "scoundrels."

The Republic of Korea (ROK) and the Democratic People 's Republic of Korea (DPRK) held working-level military talks at the truce village of Panmunjom for two days from Feb.8-9. The military delegations of two Koreas ended their negotiations as the North Korean delegation walked out of the talks. (Yonhap News)
The Republic of Korea (ROK) and the Democratic People 's Republic of Korea (DPRK) held working-level military talks at the truce village of Panmunjom for two days from Feb.8-9. The military delegations of two Koreas ended their negotiations as the North Korean delegation walked out of the talks. (Yonhap News)


"Our military and people cherish peace more than anyone but will never beg for it," the North said. "It is the traditional response of our military and people to meet dialogue with dialogue and confrontation with confrontation."

Col. Moon Sang-gyun, the South Korean chief delegate, said after returning from the border talks that the North's delegates "unilaterally walked out of a meeting room without a remark" after exchanging acrimonious words over their disputes.

Although the military talks broke down, analysts said the two sides would try to resume talks soon.

Yang Moo-jin, a professor at the University of North Korean Studies in Seoul, said, "There is still room for dialogue. The North appears to be lacking sincerity in its approach while the South lacks flexibility."

The inter-Korean military meeting came amid renewed efforts by regional powers to restart six-party talks on the North's nuclear weapons programs. The talks, which involve the two Koreas, the U.S., China, Japan and Russia, have been suspended since late 2008.

The following year, North Korea walked away in protest of U.N. and international sanctions over nuclear and missile tests.

Last month, the leaders of the U.S. and China agreed that inter-Korean dialogue is necessary before resuming the six-party talks.

South and North Korea remain technically at war after the 1950-53 Korean War ended in a truce rather than a peace treaty.

(Yonhap News)

<한글 기사> 

북한軍 대화중단 선언…남측에 책임전가

"두 사건 해결만 고집…더이상 상종 필요 안느껴"

군당국간 대화 교착, 대남비방 수위 높아질 듯

북한군은 10일 남측 군당국이 남북관계 개선을 바라지 않고 대화 자체를 전면 거부하고 있다며 "이런 조건에서 우리 군대와 인민은 더이상 상종할 필요를 느끼지 않는다"고 밝혔다.

군사회담 북측 대표단은 이날 조선중앙통신을 통해 발표한 '공보'에서  "겉으로 는 대화에 관심이나 있는 듯이 흉내 내고 속으로는 북남대화 자체를 거부해 6자회담 재개와 조선반도 주변국의 대화 흐름을 막고 대결과 충돌국면을 지속시켜 반공화국 대결정책 전환을 요구하는 내외여론을 무마해보려는 것이 역적패당의 속내"라고 회담 결렬의 책임을 남측에 전가하면서 이같이 밝혔다.

전날 남북 군사실무회담장을 일방적으로 빠져나간 북측 군대표단이 공보를 통해 남한과 더이상 상대하지 않겠다는 입장을 밝힘에 따라 남북 군당국간 대화는 당분간 교착상태에 빠질 것으로 보인다.

또 지난달 5일 '정부•정당•단체 연합성명'을 통해 남북간 상호 비방 중단을 제안한 뒤 남한 당국에 대한 거친 표현을 삼가해온 북한이 이번에 남한 정부를  '역 적패당'으로 다시 지칭함에 따라 대남비난의 수위도 높아질 전망이다.

북측은 남북 고위급 군사회담 의제와 관련, 고위급 군사회담이 열리면 먼저 남측이 주장하는 천암함 폭침과 연평도 포격을 다룬 뒤 한반도의 군사적 긴장 해소와 군사적 행위 금지 방안을 협의하자는 절충안을 내놓았지만 남측은 두 사건에 대한 '책임있는 조치'와 '추가도발방지 확약'만 의제로 삼아야 한다는 입장을 고수했다고 전했다.

고위급 군사회담 수석대표의 급에 대해서는 남측이 예비회담 초기에 단장 급수를 4성 장성급으로 하자고 제의했다며 "우리 측이 이미 우리 인민무력부장과 남측 국방장관이 서한교환을 통해 군사회담 급수를 정한 조건에서 회담 급수를 변경하는 것은 비정상적이고 비도덕적이라고 추궁하자 괴뢰들은 '남측 국방차관은 고위군사당 국자가 아니다'는 변명을 늘어놓았다"고 주장했다.

고위군사회담 개최 일정에 대해서도 북측이 3∼4일 안으로 본회담을 개최하자고 한 반면 남측은 정월대보름 휴식과 회담 준비기간을 내세워 2월 말 경에나 본회담을 개최하자는 입장이었고, 정월대보름 다음날인 18일로 날짜를 앞당기자는 북측의 절충안도 남측이 거부했다고 주장했다.

공보는 이어 2월 말께 '키 리졸브' 및 '독수리' 한미합동군사훈련이 개최된다는 점을 거론하면서 "역적패당은 합동군사연습이 벌어지는 2월 말 경에 고위급 군사회담 날짜를 정한다면 우리 측의 반발이 반드시 있을 것이라고 타산했다"고 덧붙였다.

양무진 북한대학원대학교 교수는 "북한의 격렬한 반응으로 볼 때 군사회담을 포함해 남북 당국 간의 추가회담 가능성은 커 보이지 않는다"며 "다만 현재 미국과 중 국 등이 한반도 문제 해결을 위한 남북대화를 촉구하고 있는 만큼 숨고르기 과정을 거쳐 회담이 재개될 수도 있을 것"이라고 말했다.

(연합뉴스)

MOST POPULAR