Under the revised ordinance of the Act on the Protection of Children and Juveniles against Sexual Abuse, approved by the Cabinet earlier in the day, convicted child or juvenile molesters are barred from working at institutions dealing with the youth for a maximum of 10 years, including schools, kindergartens and hospitals, according to the Ministry of Gender Equality and Family.
The new ordinance mandates legal courts to determine the length of employment ban on the convicts within the 10-year ceiling in consideration of the severity and repeatability of their crimes.
Besides schools and hospitals, those who are convicted with sexual crimes against children are also prohibited from serving in university, counseling facilities for students, and other centers for welfare services for children and juveniles.
The ordinance takes effect July 17. Only those who are convicted after July 17 will be subject to the new rules, according to the ministry.
The gender ministry said it will conduct a comprehensive inspection on the implementation of the new rules sometime between July and September after the rules take force, it also said. (Yonhap)