Korean farmers’ music ‘nongak’ added to UNESCO heritage list

France redeploys troops to restive Sahel

kh close

 

Published : 2014-07-14 21:12
Updated : 2014-07-14 21:12

PARIS (AFP) ― France said Sunday its military offensive that freed northern Mali from the grip of Islamists would be replaced by an operation spanning the wider, largely lawless Sahel region to combat extremist violence.

The so-called Serval offensive kicked off in January last year when French troops came to the help of Malian soldiers to stop al-Qaida-linked militants and Tuareg rebels from descending south of its former colony and advancing on the capital Bamako.

President Francois Hollande, speaking on the eve of France’s Bastille Day military parade in Paris, said the mission had been “perfectly accomplished.”

“As Serval wraps up, Mali is no longer a sanctuary for terrorist groups,” he said.

France ― which currently has 1,700 soldiers in Mali ― had initially planned to end Serval in May and redeploy troops to the Sahel region, but fresh clashes between rebels and the army in the flashpoint northern town of Kidal forced Paris to delay the pullout.

The French-led Serval operation, which saw eight soldiers die in 18 months, has largely been deemed a success by the international community.

But French lawmakers warned last week that all was not over in Mali, pointing to ongoing tensions and challenges in passing the baton to another force while a planned U.N. stabilization operation in the country is only being slowly deployed.

Defense Minister Jean-Yves Le Drian said Sunday that concern had now shifted to Africa’s vast Sahel region along the southern rim of the Sahara desert, whose stability is threatened by Islamist violence.

Photo News

티아라 효민 멋진 뒤태에 남심 흔들

섹시백 선발대회 몸매 뽐내는 참가자들

카자흐 女배구선수 초특급 미모, 전세계 ‘깜짝’