A military court issued a warrant Wednesday to arrest an Army officer for fleeing his barracks, leaving his soldiers behind, during a deadly shooting spree by his subordinate, the defense ministry said.
The 1st Lt., identified only by his surname Kang, was indicted on multiple charges including disobeying orders, dereliction of duty and desertion.
"The military court of the 8th Corps issued the warrant at 11:35 a.m. for the charges. He was then immediately put in jail," an Army officer said.
Kang allegedly fled his unit and failed to command his troops on June 21 when his soldiers were confronting the sergeant who went on a deadly rampage at an outpost near the heavily fortified border with North Korea.
His escape prevented the soldiers at the scene from arming themselves, as he had been in charge of managing firearm and ammunition and thus held the key to the armory.
The 27-year-old officer has claimed that he left his unit to inform the authorities of the incident and find help, according to officers.
Kang had led the border outpost since April, and was scheduled to be discharged in September.
Kang's arrest comes as part of an ongoing probe into the deadly shooting by the 22-year-old sergeant. The attack left five dead and seven wounded.
The sergeant, who fled right after the rampage, was captured two days later following a botched suicide attempt. After undergoing surgery, he was formally arrested last week. (Yonhap)