|Korea head coach Hong Myung-bo (File photo)|
The head of the South Korean soccer governing body will soon meet with the men’s national team head coach to discuss the coach’s future in the wake of his team’s disappointing World Cup in Brazil, a senior official said Tuesday.
Chung Mong-gyu, president of the Korea Football Association, will schedule a meeting with coach Hong Myung-bo “within this week” over the coach’s status, the official said.
South Korea had two losses and one draw in three group matches in Brazil, finishing last among four Group H nations for its first winless World Cup since 1998. Hong, who took over the national team about a year ago, has been under pressure to step down, though he is under contract through the Asian Cup tournament in January next year.
Hong has so far been noncommittal about his future, saying he will take time to put thought into his next move before reaching any decision.
The official, who requested anonymity, said the KFA is aware of the public’s anger and disappointment with the national team’s performance and it hopes to diffuse negative publicity soon.
“Firing the head coach based on poor results isn’t always the best course of action,” the official said. “President Chung will sit down with coach Hong for some candid talks.”
When they arrived home Monday, Hong and his players were pelted with toffee by frustrated fans at Incheon International Airport. (Yonhap)