The search for victims of last month's ferry sinking was still on hold Sunday morning due to unfavorable weather conditions, leaving 29 people unaccounted for, authorities said.
A joint team of civilian, government and military rescuers said the search operation has been suspended since early Saturday, hampered by strong tidal currents and high waves.
With weather alerts in place, some of the vessels taking part in the search operation and divers who had been on standby have taken shelter for safety, the team said.
The 6,825-ton ferry Sewol was carrying an estimated 476 passengers when it capsized and sank off the southwestern island of Jindo on April 16. A total of 172 people were rescued on the day of sinking, but 275 of the passengers, many of whom high school students on a field trip, were found dead.
The Korea Meteorological Administration forecast that waves at the operation site will reach as high as 1.5 meters to 2.5 meters, with winds blowing at speeds of 10 meters to 14 meters per second.
It said the weather was likely to worsen, with rain forecast for the afternoon. (Yonhap)