[Editorial] Barracks culture

Gov't nuclear commission authorizes restart of Hanbit reactor

kh close

 

Published : 2014-03-07 20:36
Updated : 2014-03-07 20:49

South Korea's nuclear safety body on Friday authorized the restart of a reactor that went offline due to a technical glitch late last month.

The Nuclear Safety and Security Commission (NSSC) said close inspection of the 950,000-kW Hanbit No. 2 reactor revealed there was a problem with circuitry while technicians were testing an emergency system. 

It said the problem was with the Automatic Seismic Trip System on the reactor that was set up as an additional layer of safety following the Fukushima Dai-ichi partial nuclear meltdown. 

"It is because of a glitch that the reactor went offline," the safety watchdog said.

It said technicians should have taken precautions when conducting the test to check the trip system.

The safety commission added that despite the reactor coming offline, all cooling systems that are critical to guard against a serious accident operated according to design, and there was never a risk to the reactor itself.

"In light of the accident, orders were issued to prevent a reoccurrence of such problems down the line," the commission said.

The No. 2 reactor is part of the larger Hanbit Nuclear Power Plant located 350 kilometers southwest of Seoul. It started commercial operation in June 1987. 

There are currently six heavy water reactors at the Hanbit plant, with the last going online in late 2002. (Yonhap)

  

 

Photo News

티아라 효민 멋진 뒤태에 남심 흔들

섹시백 선발대회 몸매 뽐내는 참가자들

카자흐 女배구선수 초특급 미모, 전세계 ‘깜짝’