Published : 2014-02-26 20:06
Updated : 2014-02-27 09:08
South Korea expanded its travel advisory for the Sinai Peninsula on Wednesday due to the possibility of further terrorist attacks following a deadly bombing attack there last week.
Three South Koreans as well as one Egyptian were killed in the terrorism-suspected bombing attack on a tourist bus on Feb. 16 in the border region of the Sinai Peninsula, a biblical place that attracts Christian pilgrims from across the world.
The Ministry of Foreign Affairs said it will expand travel restrictions to the entire Sinai Peninsula, advising South Koreans traveling in the region to leave the area.
Previously, only part of the peninsula was put under a travel restriction, which was the third strongest of the ministry’s four-level travel warning system.
“Those who are planning to travel to the Sinai region are strongly advised to cancel or delay their trip while those who are traveling now are requested to return home if it’s not for urgent business,” the ministry said in a statement.
But the resort city of Sharm el-Sheikh, located on the southern tip of the Sinai Peninsula, was exempt from the travel restrictions due to relatively stable public safety there, according to the ministry.
Unrest persists in the Sinai region, where violent protests followed the ousting of President Hosni Mubarak in 2011. (Yonhap)