Published : 2014-02-02 21:07
Updated : 2014-02-03 11:07
The government on Sunday announced a plan to launch an intensive crackdown on the illegal distributors of personal data to prevent further damage from the latest massive leak of customer data from three leading credit card firms.
Law enforcement authorities will begin an indefinite crackdown on those who illegally circulate or use the leaked data, the prime minister's office said after a meeting of related Cabinet ministers.
It was the first regular weekend meeting presided over by Prime Minister Chung Hong-won to discuss major policy issues.
During the meeting, the government also decided to introduce a system that would swiftly deactivate phone numbers used to sell illegal loans beginning early this month as part of efforts to prevent secondary damage from the leakage, the office said.
Sensitive client data, including personal IDs, bank account numbers, addresses and credit ratings, were leaked from KB Kookmin Card, NH Nonghyup Card and Lotte Card last month, prompting fears among victims that the information would be used in financial scams.
"People's feelings of anxiety about the data leak have not been completely eased yet, even though they are settled in some degree," Chung was quoted as saying during the meeting.
He instructed ministers to ease the anxiety of the victims by opening the way for them to be compensated for the leakage as soon as they are confirmed to become victims of scams.
Also discussed during the meeting were measures to prevent the further spread of the highly pathogenic bird flu disease in the country as well as the damage from the oil spill in the southern sea off Yeosu, according to the prime minister's office. (Yonhap News)