Overlearning the Lesson
A 2002 study led by Dr. Kenneth Offit, chief of clinical genetics at Memorial Sloan-Kettering Cancer Center and the discoverer of the most common BRCA2 gene mutation, found that 3 percent of women undergoing oophorectomy developed breast cancer after about two years, compared with 11 percent of women who did not have the surgery.
○ A 2002 study led by Dr. Kenneth Offit, chief of clinical genetics at Memorial Sloan-Kettering Cancer Center, ‘슬로안 케털링’ 기념 암센터의 유전학 병동과 과장 ‘케넷 오핏’ 박사가 이끈 2002년 한 연구는
○ 3 percent of women undergoing oophorectomy developed breast cancer after about two years 난소 절제술을 받은 여성들 중 3%가 약 2년후에 유방암이 발생했다.
Removal of the breasts does seem to reduce the incidence of ovarian cancer-by 89 percent, according to one 2010 study-but the mechanism is unclear, and the findings are mixed.
○ reduce the incidence of ovarian cancer 난소암 발생율을 줄이다
○ mechanism 절차 방법 mechanism is unclear (유방 제거) 절차 방법이 분명하지 않다
○ findings are mixed. 연구 결과가 각기 다르다.
“We don’t have good screening strategies for ovarian cancer, so it makes sense to try to be aggressive in preventing the development of the disease,” says Dr. Isabelle Bedrosian, associate professor of surgical oncology at MD Anderson Cancer Center.
○ it makes sense to try to be aggressive in preventing the development of the disease 질병 발생을 방지하는 일에 적극적인 대처를 하는 것이 현명하다.
Up and down the disease spectrum, holes in our detection screens make these kinds of judgment calls necessary, even when, as with BRCA, we have culpable genes in hand.
○ 그 질병 스펙트럼 상 하, 감지 스크린에 구멍이 나타나면 일종의 개인적 소견이 필요하다. 이런 경우에 있어서도, 유방암과 마찬가지로 유전자를 충분히 치료할 수 있다.
출처: TIME Bilingual Reading 영어독해 안젤리나 졸리