Back To Top

S. Korean badminton players disqualified for match-throwing attempts

South Korea's Jung Kyung-eun, left, and Kim Ha-na play against Valeria Sorokina and Nina Vislova, or Russia, during a women's doubles badminton match at the 2012 Summer Olympics, Monday, July 30, 2012, in London. (AP-Yonhap News)
South Korea's Jung Kyung-eun, left, and Kim Ha-na play against Valeria Sorokina and Nina Vislova, or Russia, during a women's doubles badminton match at the 2012 Summer Olympics, Monday, July 30, 2012, in London. (AP-Yonhap News)


Two South Korean women's badminton doubles pairs were among those tossed from the London Olympics Wednesday for trying to throw their matches to ensure a favorable draw, officials said.

The Badminton World Federation (BWF) announced its ruling after investigating four doubles teams. They were: Jung Kyung-eun and Kim Ha-na and Ha Jung-eun and Kim Min-jung from South Korea; Wang Xiaoli and Yu Yang of China; and Greysia Polii and Meiliana Jauhari of Indonesia.

The BWF rejected South Korea's appeal. It also said Indonesia withdrew its appeal while China didn't contest the disqualification.

These pairs had been scheduled to play in the quarterfinals later Wednesday. After accusations of match-throwing attempts arose following the teams' play Tuesday, the BWF said it would investigate the players on charges of "not using one's best efforts to win a match" and "conducting oneself in a manner that is clearly abusive or detrimental to the sport."

On Tuesday, Jung and Kim faced Wang and Yu. They were booed off the court at Wembley Arena after appearing to serve into the net and making unforced errors. The South Koreans won the match in straight sets, and the longest rally in their first game lasted just four strokes.

They got a warning from the tournament referee, Torsten Berg.

The loss dropped the top-seeded Wang and Yu into second place in Group A, and they would have avoided facing the No. 2-seeded Chinese tandem, Tian Qing and Zhao Yunlei until the final. Tian and Zhao finished in second place in Group D.
The eight badminton players who were disqualified: (top row) Korea’s Kim Ha-na, Ha Jung-eun, Kim Min-jung and Jung Kyung-eun. (bottom row) Indonesia’s Greysia Polii and Meiliana Jauhari; and China’s Wang Xiaoli and Yu Yang. (AFP-Yonhap News)
The eight badminton players who were disqualified: (top row) Korea’s Kim Ha-na, Ha Jung-eun, Kim Min-jung and Jung Kyung-eun. (bottom row) Indonesia’s Greysia Polii and Meiliana Jauhari; and China’s Wang Xiaoli and Yu Yang. (AFP-Yonhap News)

In the Olympic badminton tournament, 16 doubles teams were divided into four groups, and the top two tandems from each reached the quarters. The first-place teams from Group A and Group B are on the same side of the bracket as No. 2 duos from Group C and D. On the opposite side, first-place teams from Groups C and D have drawn No. 2 duos from Groups A and B.

Officials believe that both the Wang-Yu and Jung-Kim teams tried to avoid having Ting and Zhao on the same side of the bracket.

In the following doubles match, Ha and Kim defeated Jauhari and Polii 18-21, 21-14 and 21-12, but not before receiving a warning for deliberately losing points and getting jeered by the capacity crowd as well. These teams were accused of trying to finish second in Group C and avoid facing Wang and Yu in the quarters.

After the matches, the South Korean coaches were defiant and actually filed a protest with the referees over actions by the Wang-Yu team.

"If they play right, the Chinese team, this wouldn't happen,"

said South Korean head coach Sung Han-kook. "It's not like the Olympics spirit to play like this. How could the No. 1 pair in the world play like this?"

Sung said his players in the second doubles match, Ha and Kim, Tuesday "did the same" because they didn't want to play the other Korean team, Jung and Kim, to open the quarters.

"Nobody likes playing against strong players," Sung said.

Kim Moon-soo, an assistant coach for South Korea, said he believed the Chinese "broke the Olympic spirit" by missing their serves.

Yu, one of the Chinese players, denied that she and her playing partner, who'd already booked a ticket to the quarters, were trying to throw their match.

"We would try hard in every match if they were elimination games," she said. "We have a game (Wednesday) and we were conserving energy for that. The most important thing is the elimination match."

For the first time in Olympics, a combination of round-robin group stage and knockout phase was introduced. Sixteen doubles teams were paired into four groups of four, with the top two teams from each group progressing to the quarters. But this format can be vulnerable against attempts to manipulate results to set up easier matchups in the knockout stage. (Yonhap News)


<관련 한글 기사>


'중국꼼수' 때문에 한국 배드민턴 선수 전원 실격


세계배드민턴연맹(BWF)이 런던올림픽 배드민턴 여자복식 조별리그에서 벌어진 '고의 패배' 경기와 관련해 한국, 중국, 인도네시아 등 8명의 선수를 전원 실격 처리했다.

또 한국과 인도네시아가 제출한 이의신청도 모두 기각됐다.

토마스 룬드 BWF 사무총장은 1일(현지시간) 영국 런던 웸블리 아레나에서 기자회견을 열어 "'고의 패배' 사건에 연루된 여자복식 4개조(8명) 선수 모두 실격 처분 하기로 했다"고 밝혔다.

룬드 사무총장은 "오늘 아침 8명의 선수를 대상으로 청문회를 열었다"며  "이들은 전날 경기에서 반복적으로 서비스를 네트에 꽂거나 일부러 스매싱을 멀리 보내는 불성실한 경기를 펼쳤다"고 설명했다.

이번 실격 처분은 '최선을 다하지 않고 경기에 나서는 행위'와 '스포츠 정신을 훼손하는 행동'을 금지하는 배드민턴연맹 규정에 따라 이뤄졌다.

대표팀 관계자는 실격 통보를 받고 곧바로 BWF에 이의신청서와 공탁금 500달러를 제출했지만 끝내 기각을 당했다.

이에 대해 룬드 사무총장은 "한국과 인도네시아 팀이 이번 결정에 대해 이의신청을 제출했지만 워낙 사안이 명확해 이의 신청 자체를 기각했다"고 설명했다.

그는 "징계위원회에서 신속하게 경기 비디오를 보면서 평가해 내린 결정"이라며 "실격 처리 이외에 선수나 코치에 대한 추가 징계는 없을 것"이라고 덧붙였다.

또 "징계위원회는 드러난 사실만으로 평가를 했다"며 "선수들이 최선을 다하지 않은 모습이 명확했다. 선수들의 징계는 각 NOC(국가올림픽위원회)의 몫"이라고 말했다.

BWF의 결정에 따라 여자복식 A조 1위로 8강에 오른 정경은(KGC 인삼공사)-김하 나(삼성전기•세계랭킹 8위) 조와 C조 1위를 차지한  하정은(대교눈높이)-김민정(전북은행) 조는 실격을 당하게 됐다.

이번 '고의패배' 스캔들은 지난달 31일 벌어진 여자복식 조별리그 A조 최종전에서 촉발됐다.

세계랭킹 1위인 중국의 왕샤올리-위양 조는 한국의 정경은-김하나 조를 맞아 성의없는 플레이로 일부러 점수를 내주며 0-2로 무너졌다.

왕-위 조는 자국의 세계랭킹 2위인 톈칭-자오윈레이 조와 준결승에서 만나는 것을 피하기 위해 고의 패배를 자초했다.

객관적인 전력에서 정-김 조를 압도하는 왕-위 조가 일부러 져주는 경기를 하자 성한국 대표팀 감독은 심판에게 항의했고, 심판장이 직접 코트로 들어와 양팀 선수 에게 경고하는 황당한 장면을 연출됐다.

하지만 중국 선수들의 태도는 변하지 않았고, 한국에 패해 A조 2위로 8강에 오르며 '원하는 결과'를 얻었다.

중국이 대진을 유리하게 조작하자 이어 열린 C조에서 하정은-김민정(한국) 조와 멜리아나 자우하리-그레시아 폴리(인도네시아) 조 역시 유리한 대진을 위해 '져주기 게임'을 펼치다 전원 실격 처리됐다.

중국 올림픽대표은 1일 성명을 통해 자국 배드민턴 여자복식  왕샤올리-위양 조의 `고의 패배'를 인정했다.

런던올림픽 중국대표단은 성명에서 "왕샤올리와 위양의 행위는 올림픽의 원칙들을 위반했고 페어플레이 정신에 반한다"며 "중국올림픽조직위원회는 스포츠정신에 반하는 여하한  행동에 도 항상 강력하게 반대해왔다"고 덧붙였다.

한국 대표팀은 중국의 '꼼수'에 적절하게 대응하지 못하고 맞대응하다 여자복식 조 전원 실격이라는 참사를 불렀다.

[이 시각 인기 기사]

재벌 상속녀의 ‘통 큰’ 섬 매각

기독교를 몰아내는 좀비 떼 출현!

구직자들, 연봉 '이 정도는' 받아야...

MOST POPULAR