Back To Top
Sports

Nation's top baseball league suspends players implicated in match fixing

Two pitchers in the nation's top baseball league have been suspended indefinitely for their alleged roles in match fixing, officials said Monday.

The Korea Baseball Organization (KBO) said Kim Seong-hyun and Park Hyun-jun, both of the Seoul-based LG Twins, will remain under suspension indefinitely. Kim was recently taken into custody for allegedly taking kickbacks from a gambling broker to issue first-inning walks on purpose.

 

Park Hyun-jun (Yonhap News)
Park Hyun-jun (Yonhap News)

Park, who was grilled by prosecutors last week for his connection, has partially admitted to his involvement, prosecutors have said. He is not under arrest.

According to KBO officials, Park and Kim will not be permitted to play in exhibition and regular season games. They will also not be paid for the duration of their suspension. The officials added they will hand out the same penalties to KBO players coming under fixing suspicions in the future. If they receive criminal penalties for their charges, then the KBO will convene a disciplinary committee meeting to finalize its punishment.

In a statement, the KBO also apologized to fans over the scandal, the first of its kind to hit the league since its inception in 1982.

"We offer our heartfelt apology for causing baseball fans a major disappointment," the league said. "We will fully cooperate with related authorities to help them get to the bottom of the case, and will sternly punish all involved individuals."

The KBO added it will soon discuss measures to prevent further fixing in baseball at its executive committee, made up of team general managers, and its board meeting, which brings together team owners.

The ongoing investigation has dealt a major blow to the KBO, which has enjoyed an unprecedented wave of popularity in recent seasons. The 2012 season starts on April 7.(Yonhap News)



<한글 기사>

KBO, '경기조작' 박현준·김성현 일시 자격정지


프로야구 경기 조작에 가담한 혐의로 검찰 조사를 받은 LG 트윈스 소속 투수 박현준(26)과 김성현(23)이 당분간 야구 선수로서 모든 활동이 정지된다.

한국야구위원회(KBO)는 5일 국민체육진흥법 위반 행위 등으로 사회적 물의를 일으킨 두 선수에 대해 일시 자격 정지 처분을 내린다고 발표했다.

야구규약 제144조 3항은 물의를 일으켜 프로야구의 품위를 손상한 선수에 대해서는 야구 활동을 정지시킬 수 있다고 명시하고 있다.

이에 따라 박현준과 김성현은 훈련은 물론 시범경기·정규리그 경기 등 구단 활동에 일절 참가할 수 없다. 또 그 기간 참가활동보수도 못 받는다.

김성현은 브로커로부터 '첫 이닝 고의볼넷' 등 불법 스포츠도박사이트의 베팅 항목에 대한 조작 부탁을 받고 기록 조작에 가담한 뒤 수백만원 가량의 사례금을 받아챙긴 혐의로 지난 1일 구속됐다.

같은 혐의로 2일 검찰에 출석한 박현준은 조사가 끝난 뒤 귀가했으나 혐의를 일부 시인한 것으로 알려져 큰 충격을 안겼다.

KBO는 앞으로도 검찰 수사에서 혐의가 드러나는 선수에 대해 똑같이 제재하고, 추후 해당 선수에 대한 형사처벌이 확정되면 상벌위원회를 따로 열어 징계수위를 최종 결정하기로 했다.

KBO는 이와 같은 불미스러운 일이 재발하지 않도록 9개 구단 단장들로 이뤄진 실행위원회와 의결기구인 이사회에서 조만간 대책을 논의할 예정이다.

한편 KBO는 선수 징계와 별도로 대국민 사과문을 발표하고 진상 규명에 앞장서겠다고 약속했다.

KBO는 "그간 프로야구를 사랑해 준 모든 야구팬과 국민에게 큰 실망을 안기고 심려를 끼쳐 드린 점을 머리 숙여 사죄한다"면서 "진상이 철저하게 규명될 수 있도록 관계기관의 조사에 최대한 협조하고, 사건 관련자는 엄중히 문책하겠다"고 밝혔다.

그러면서 재발 방지를 위한 시스템을 구축하고 불법행위를 근원적으로 차단할 수 있는 장치를 마련해 더 투명하고 공정한 프로야구를 만들어가겠다고 다짐했다.

MOST POPULAR