Back To Top

USFK to turn over soldier suspected of rape to S. Korean prosecutors

A U.S. soldier, suspected of raping a South Korean teenage girl, is expected to be turned over to South Korean authorities this week, local law enforcement sources said Monday.

The 21-year-old U.S. Army private, assigned to the 2nd Infantry Division, was placed under U.S. military custody after confessing that he raped an 18-yer-old Korean girl in the early hours of Sept. 24 near his unit in Dongducheon north of Seoul.

A South Korean court last week issued an arrest warrant to put him under Korean custody for trial under the status-of-forces agreement that governs crimes committed by U.S. soldiers stationed in the country.

South Korean law enforcement sources said the U.S. military is expected to turn the soldier over to South Korean authorities around Thursday.

Once the U.S. soldier is placed under South Korean custody, he should be indicted within 24 hours, according to legal experts. The soldier then will remain in Korean custody throughout the trial.

About 28,500 U.S. soldiers are currently stationed in South Korea. (Yonhap News)

 

<한글기사>

미2사단 '성폭행 미군' 6일 검찰에 인도



주한미군 제2사단은 동두천 10대 여학생 성폭행 혐의를 받고 있는 K(21)이병을 한국 법무부가 요청한 오는 6일 검찰에 인도하기로 했다.

K이병은 현재 미2사단 헌병대에 구금돼 있다. 미2사단은 6일 K이병을 서울구치소로 데려가 검찰에 인도할 예정이다.

검찰은 K이병을 구치소에 수감한 뒤 24시간 내에 기소하게 되며 K이병은 구속 상태에서 재판을 받게 된다.

앞서 검찰은 지난 1일 법원으로부터 K이병에 대한 구속영장을 발부받은 뒤 법무부를 통해 미군 측에 범죄인 인도를 요청했다.

에드워드 C.카돈 미2사단장은 이날 보도자료를 통해 "피해자와 가족, 그리고 한국 국민에 진심 어린 유감을 표한다"며 말했다.

K이병은 지난달 24일 오전 4시께 만취상태로 동두천시내 한 고시텔에 들어가 TV를 보던 A(18)양을 흉기로 위협해 수차례 성폭행하고 가혹행위를 한 뒤 5천원을 빼앗아 달아난 혐의를 받고 있다.

검찰은 지난달 28일 이 사건을 넘겨받아 이례적으로 다음날 K이병을 불러 추가 조사했으며 하루 뒤 구속영장을 신청했다.

MOST POPULAR
LATEST NEWS
padcast
Korea Herald Youtube
subscribe