Back To Top

S. Korean military facilities incapable of fending off N.K. electronic attacks

Report says combat readiness of rapid response forces is poor 

Key South Korean military facilities are not equipped with proper tools to defend themselves from possible electronic attacks from North Korea, reports said Tuesday.


(Yonhap News)
(Yonhap News)


The reports submitted to Rep. Chung Mi-kyung of the ruling Grand National Party for the parliamentary inspection prompted calls for effective measures to protect them, at a time when the reclusive North Korea is focusing on developing electronic warfare tactics.

The state-run Agency for Defense Development and the Defense Acquisition Program Administration made the report, in which they said South Korea has no technologies to fend off electromagnetic pulse bomb attacks.

Although work has recently been done to better safeguard the Defense Ministry building and the new building now under construction for the Joint Chiefs of Staff, they can deal only with electromagnetic interference, the reports said.

The North is thought to be seeking to develop EMP bombs that can effectively paralyze communication tools and other electronic systems, and seriously undermine enemy forces’ basic warfare capabilities.

Well aware that it cannot win in conventional warfare with its outdated weaponry, the impoverished North has been striving to enhance electronic warfare capabilities that can cause massive damage to its enemies at low costs.

ADD and DAPA said that they plan to develop core technologies to respond to the possible EMP attacks in steps from 2012 to 2015.

“Key military facilities which the president, defense minister and the military leadership will use as command posts in an emergency such as a war could be defenseless against electronic attacks,” said Rep. Chung.

“We should draw up measures to install defense tolls in key facilities including the JCS building under construction, which should meet the standards for advanced countries.”

In a separate inspection report, it was revealed that the readiness posture of the military’s “rapid-response combat-ready” forces is poor.

The report that inspected four Army and one Air Force units last year showed that they are not capable of immediately converting to combat mode.

It said that situational reports were not immediately disseminated to them, and that the capability of the platoon leaders to lead their troops turned out to be inadequate.

The rapid response forces are to carry certain ammunitions and combat items at all times, and should remain fully ready to be positioned in the battle ground and join military operations at any time.

The Defense Ministry submitted the report to Rep. Shin Hak-yong of the main opposition Democratic Party.

By Song Sang-ho  (sshluck@heraldcorp.com)

 

<한글기사>



국방부ㆍ합참ㆍ계룡대 北EMP 공격 못막아"


국방부와 합동참모본부 신청사 등 주요 군 시설들에 전자기 체계를 무력화하는 북한의 전자기펄스(EMP)탄 공격을 막아낼 방호 시설이 갖춰지지 않아 대책 마련이 필요하다는 지적이 제기됐다.

20일 국회 국방위원회 정미경(한나라당) 의원이 방위사업청 및 국방과학연구소에서 제출받은 답변 자료에 따르면 현재 국내에는 EMP 공격을 막아낼 기술은 없는 것으로 알려졌다.

국방부 청사나 신축 중인 합참 신청사 등에 민간업체가 EMP 방호시설 공사를 했다고는 하지만, 이는 전자파 간섭(EMI)을 막는 수준으로 북한의 EMP탄은 물론 핵폭발로 인한 고고도전자기펄스(HEMP)에 대한 방호도 장담할 수 없는 수준인 것으로 전해졌다.

방사청과 국방과학연구소는 이와 관련해 주요 군 시설에 대해 오는 2012년부터 2015년까지 현재 연구 중인 HEMP 방호 기술을 기반으로 EMP탄에 대응할 수 있는 핵심 기술을 단계적으로 개발할 예정이라고 밝혔다.

앞서 군은 국회제출 자료를 통해 전자기펄스(EMP)탄을 북한군이 보유했는지에 대해 "북한의 신형 전자전 장비 개발 추세와 각국의 EMP탄 개발 추세를 고려할 때 북한도 향후 개발할 가능성이 있다"고 전망했다.

한편 합참 신청사 건축과 관련해 국방부는 H건설과 178억원에 EMP 방호시설 계약을 맺었지만, H건설이 이를 하도급 업체에 하청을 주면서 44억원을 낮춘 134억원에 계약을 체결한 것으로 나타났다. 이는 최초 설계 당시 금액 243억원의 55%에 불과한 액수다.

H건설의 하도급 발주 과정에서 국방부는 하청업체의 EMP 방호 시공능력에 대한 검증 작업을 벌인 적도 없는 것으로 알려졌다.

정 의원은 "전쟁과 같은 유사시 대통령과 국방장관 등 국가 수뇌부가 대피해 전시 지휘부로 사용할 주요 군 시설들이 북한의 전자전 공격에 무방비로 노출될 수 있다"면서 "합참 신청사 등 주요 시설의 EMP 방호 시설을 선진국 기준에 부합하도록 대책을 마련해야 한다"고 말했다.
MOST POPULAR