Back To Top
National

N. Korea vows to legally dispose of S. Korean assets at Mount Kumgang

North Korea said Monday it will legally dispose of all South Korean property at its scenic mountain resort, blaming Seoul for not responding to its proposals on how to handle the assets.

Pyongyang has threatened to dispose of the roughly 300 billion won (US$284 million) worth of assets unless South Korean business representatives visit the resort on Mount Kumgang to discuss ways to handle their property. Tour programs to the resort were suspended in 2008 following the shooting death of a South Korean female tourist there.

North Korea "considers that the South Korean authorities totally abandoned the protection of property and interests of enterprises of the south side and from now on makes a real legal disposal of all the properties including real estate, equipment and vehicles of the south side" at the resort, an unidentified spokesman for the resort's guidance bureau said, according to the North's official Korean Central News Agency (KCNA).

North Korea informed the South late last month that it would give business representatives three weeks to visit and choose between joining an international tour program for the resort and disposing of the assets through a lease, transfer or sale.

Earlier this year, the North announced a law designed to develop the resort as a special zone for international tours after unilaterally terminating exclusive tourism rights for Hyundai Asan, a key South Korean tour operator at the resort.

Four officials from Hyundai Asan visited the resort on Friday, the deadline set by the North, to try to resolve the dispute, but the spokesman said the meeting only proved that the South "has no intention to resume tours of Mount Kumgang and respond to the adjustment of properties but is keen to realize its sinister intention to use noble tourism for the purpose of confrontation."

The South has warned that the North will be held accountable for all consequences resulting from its disposal of the assets.

A South Korea delegation of government officials and business representatives also held several rounds of talks with the North ahead of the deadline, but little resulted from them.

The North Korean spokesman also said all South Korean materials and property was prohibited from being taken out of the resort starting Sunday at midnight, according to the KCNA dispatch. He also ordered all South Korean personnel at the resort to leave within 72 hours.

"The puppet conservative group is entirely to blame for the situation today when the tour of Mount Kumgang has reached such a deplorable pass, though it had been under way amid the attention of all Koreans and the whole world and its crimes will be denounced and cursed by them for all ages," the spokesman said, referring to the South Korean government.

South Korea had invested tens of millions of dollars building hotels, restaurants and a golf course at the resort since 1998 when the North opened it for South Korean tourists.

The cross-border project, a cash cow for the impoverished North, was once hailed as a key symbol of inter-Korean reconciliation after decades of enmity. (Yonhap News)

 

<한글 기사>


北 "금강산 재산권 21일부터 법적처분"

"南 물자•재산반출 중지…인력도 3일내 나가야"

통일부 "남북합의 위반, 단호히 대응할 것"

북한은 22일 금강산관광지구 내 남측 재산권 문제와 관련, "남조선이 남측 기업들의 재산 및 이권보호를 완전히 포기한 것으로 인정하고 이제부터 금강산국제관광특구에 있는 남측 부동산과 설비 및 윤전기 재들을 비롯한 모든 재산에 대한 법적처분을 단행한다"고 밝혔다.

북한은 이날 금강산국제관광특구지도국 대변인 담화를 통해 이같이 밝히고 "금강산에 들어와있는 남측 기업들의 물자들과 재산에 대한 반출을 21일 0시부터 중지한다"며 "금강산국제관광특구에 남아있는 남측 성원들은 72시간 안에 나가야 한다"

고 요구했다고 조선중앙통신이 전했다.

대변인은 "남조선당국이 금강산관광 재개도 재산등록도 끝끝내 다 거부해나선 조건에서 금강산국제관광특구법 제26조와 제40조 등 관련법률에 따라 조치를 취한다 는 것을 엄숙히 선포한다"고 밝혔다.

북한이 지난 6월2일 발표한 금강산국제관광특구법의 제26조는 금강산지구 내 투 자가는 국제관광특구관리위원회의 기업창설승인을 받아야 한다고 규정하고, 제40조 는 금강산 관광사업에 지장을 주거나 기업•개인에게 피해를 주면 원상복구, 손해배 상, 벌금 등의 제재를 한다는 내용을 담고 있다.

대변인은 이어 "온 민족과 전 세계의 관심 속에 진행돼온 금강산관광사업이 오늘의 사태에 처하게 된 책임은 전적으로 괴뢰보수패당에게 있으며 그 죄행은 두고두고 겨레의 규탄과 저주를 받게 될 것"이라고 남측을 비난했다.

대변인은 지난 19일 현대아산 관계자들이 방북해 `관광재개를 전제로 생산적 협 의를 계속하자'고 요청한 데 대해서도 "금강산관광을 재개하려는 생각이 전혀 없고 재산정리에 응하려는 의사도 없으며 숭고한 관광사업을 대결의 목적에 악용하려는 흉심만 꽉 차 있다는 것을 최종적으로 확증하게 됐다"고 주장했다.

북한 금강산국제관광특구지도국은 이날 오전 금강산 지구 내 현대아산 관계자들 에게 이런 법적처분 내용을 통보한 것으로 알려졌다.

그러나 정부는 북한의 이 같은 조치가 남북간 합의를 어기는 것이며 단호히 대응하겠다는 입장을 밝혔다.

통일부 관계자는 "정부는 대화를 통해 문제를 해결하자는 입장을 지속적으로 밝혀왔다"며 "북측이 실제로 우리측 재산에 대해 법적처분을 실행한다면 이미 밝힌대 로 외교적•법적 조치를 취할 수밖에 없다. 구체적인 대응방안을 논의 중"이라고 말 했다.

현대아산도 이날 오전 긴급회의를 열고 대응책을 강구하고 있는 것으로 전해졌다. (연합뉴스)

 

MOST POPULAR