“Dakjjim” is a dish of chicken pieces simmered with seasoning along with various vegetables such as onions, carrots, and potatoes. Chicken is favored over other meats because it is low in price and calories, and high in protein.
Dakjjim (Institute of Traditional Korean Food)
● 700 g chicken, 5 cups water
● 70 g carrot
● 2 sheets brown oak mushrooms, ● 80 g onion, 8 g gingko
● 1 egg
● 1 tbsp cooking oil
● seasoning sauce : 2 1/2 tbsp soy sauce, 1 1/2 tbsp sugar, 1 tbsp minced green onion, 1/2 tbsp minced garlic, 1 tsp ginger juice, 1/2 tbsp sesame salt, 1 tbsp sesame oil
● 1 1/2 cups water
1. Remove intestines and fat from the chicken, trim and wash clean. Cut it into pieces.
2.Wash the carrot, slice it into 3 cm pieces and trim the edges.
3. Soak the brown oak mushrooms in water for 1 hour, remove stems, wipe and chop.
4. Dice the onion.
5. Preheat the frying pan with oil. On medium heat, stir-fry gingko for 2 min. whilst rolling, maintaining green color, then skin.
6. Panfry egg for garnish, cut it into a diaper shape.
7. Blend seasoning sauce.
8. Pour water into the pot, heat for 5 min. on high until boiling. Clean the chicken by quick boiling for 2 min.
9. Put the chicken into the pot, add half the seasoning sauce and water. Boil it for 3 min. on high heat. When it boils, lower the heat to medium, simmer for 20 min. slowly. Add remaining half of seasoning sauce, simmer for 10 min. more. Add carrot and boil for another 5 min.
10. Add the gingko, braise it for 3 min. with a little broth to set a gloss.
11. Place on a dish and top with egg garnish.
Tip: Do not add vegetables too early, or they may soften.
(Adapted from Institute of Traditional Korean Food)